Results October 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
richukuk

Re: Results October 2018

Post by richukuk »

We scored much to our surprise 250+ score edited by Moderator, hoping for Inner Circle Lawrence Sheriff
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

richukuk wrote:We scored much to our surprise 250+, hoping for Inner Circle Lawrence Sheriff
Mods please can you remove the score from this post, as per the usual forum decorum and replace with 250+. richukuk, please do read things properly - there are many very disappointed parents on here and coming on just to boast about a high score is not seemly. And, in fact it is not "we" it is your son....
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

This time last year DD scored 'in no man's land' - a phrase a few of you have used. It is a very hard position to be in and you may not know the outcome until later in to the school year. Our approach was to say we were going to the local comp - it was easier for her to have that conversation at school and saved any difficult questions. It also prepared the way for the local comp in our own minds. My advice is consider your strategy now and try to stick to it for the next six months, or better still fill in the CAF with the school you really want at the top and try to forget about it until mid-February. At which point you can begin obsessively checking this forum, the postman, the portal etc all over again!
richukuk

Post by richukuk »

kenyancowgirl - I am happy for the score to be covered as I was not aware of the rules. It's not bragging, we were genuinely very surprised. It is 'we' as my family especially my wife has also worked very hard towards this together for a long time (although amongst us my son is given all the credit) and we did have some 'not so good' results and many emotional dramas along the way. I have every sympathy for those including some of my friends who did not score so well.
effort

Post by effort »

I am just wondering whether we will receive a letter from Birmingham if the exam result is shared with them. I have not received one yet, and I am just wondering whether it was shared with Birmingham.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

effort wrote:I am just wondering whether we will receive a letter from Birmingham if the exam result is shared with them. I have not received one yet, and I am just wondering whether it was shared with Birmingham.
I would give Warwickshire Admissions a call and check that they did share with Birmingham and, if they did, call Birmingham and ask where your child ranked/scored. There have been problems for the last few years with "shared" scores - usually across other county borders, which have resulted in people who should have got an offer not getting one (and, sadly, vice versa), so it is not without precedent if they have forgotten!
effort

Post by effort »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
effort wrote:I am just wondering whether we will receive a letter from Birmingham if the exam result is shared with them. I have not received one yet, and I am just wondering whether it was shared with Birmingham.
I would give Warwickshire Admissions a call and check that they did share with Birmingham and, if they did, call Birmingham and ask where your child ranked/scored. There have been problems for the last few years with "shared" scores - usually across other county borders, which have resulted in people who should have got an offer not getting one (and, sadly, vice versa), so it is not without precedent if they have forgotten!
Thanks, Kenyancowgirl. I will do it now.
snow white

Post by snow white »

Last year I didn’t receive my letter from the Birmingham Consortium until over a week after Warwickshire released the results. I suspect Birmingham were given them late Monday/Tuesday after the technical issues and then need time to write out to parents. But I agree, given the sharing issues some parents faced last year it’s probably best to ring and check. I didn’t share this year for DS2.
effort

Post by effort »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
I just received the reply from Birmingham, saying that the letter had been sent out yesterday.
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

I'm feeling nervous - having seen how many took the test this year (and comparing to last year) I'm genuinely concerned that the AQSs will take a jump this year. For example, my son would have been ranked 189 last year but is 392 this year - so there are more than twice as many children with a higher score, and I assume, therefore, twice as many above him in the allocation of places. I can't be sure this is a linear trend as you go down the scoreboard, but if it is surely the AQSs must rise? Apparently it's a boom year, so no wonder so many took the test, but that will presumably have a direct impact on application numbers too. I'm not too worried about our school choices personally, but I am worried for others who are closer to last year's AQS score for their chosen school.

Best of luck to everyone who's going for it, and if anyone can put our collective minds at rest please do :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now