Rankings for 2019 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Varsha2017

Re: Rankings for 2019 entry

Post by Varsha2017 »

Vicksteroo wrote:There are no grammar schools in Leamington Spa - you have to go to Stratford or Rugby from there. There are buses to KES from Leamington (I have a friend in Radford Semele who is hoping her son will go there). No need to move house!
Actually how much is there to gain if one moves to Stratford...definitely some additional time for after school activities but is that considerable saving and worth all the hassle? I can't answer as new in UK.
snow white

Post by snow white »

There are buses from Leamington to KES and he potentially could use the train? My eldest is in Year 7 at KES and most of the boys are from outside of Stratford-upon-Avon. I personally can’t see any need to move house from Leamington other than after school clubs logistics? I’d be pretty confident with that score too!
snow white

Post by snow white »

Jyoti2018 wrote:What could be plausible reasons for High scores this time? - is it just the High scorers that have posted or increase in Total attainable marks or just that kids have performed well? Really worried on 228 score making through to KES list even by June next year.
It’s difficult to tell until March but the current number one boy on the waiting list for KES has a score of 226. If the scores rise a couple it might be a long wait, but if not you might just squeeze in. My DS has scored 226 so we don’t think it will be enough for KES. Luckily he prefers AGS!
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

Jyoti2018 wrote:An odd request for the topic listed.
A friend of mine (not in Forum) is planning to shift to Stratford from Leamington Spa as she is confident of her boy's place in KES (249 marks). Could any body with similar experience pls advice. She has been in Leamington Spa for 3 years and not very keen on moving. If any body can advice pls - are both places at par on what they offer?
It's worth taking transport costs into account from Leamington to Stratford. Council-run services are few and far between (and to be cut further from next September) and the current bus passes for the public Stagecoach bus are exorbitant. Sorry to take the thread off in another direction, but someone has obviously approached the local MP about this and, in case anyone is interested, there's a petition here:
https://warwickandleamington.laboursite ... s-changes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

Quite a few travel from Leamington Spa to Stratford and Alcester. I know someone living near Newbold Comyn with kids at SGGS and KES already and his youngest wants to go to AGS. My DD will be heading to SGGS from Leamington Station as of September. I've been told bus passes (I think they use the 16A) are about £300 a term and train times don't match up with school times but we don't have any plans to move just yet!
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

Your friend should probably wait and see how her DS copes with the travelling on a day-to-day basis. We are near the railway station but my DS walks further up the route as he says he wouldn't get a seat otherwise (the buses are packed). There are frequently delays in the evening meaning he regularly gets home at 5.30 or later. Obviously there are lots of factors to take into account and hopefully Stagecoach will get their act together and improve the service. I can see the advantages of living in Stratford if it's a realistic option for you (for us, sadly, it isn't!).
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

5.30 isn't really late though, is it, gingerly67! In reality, boys who stay behind for after school rugby training or such like, (and there are a whole range of activities or responsibilities that require this) do not even leave school till after 5.30, so my boys would be delighted if they were getting home at 5.30pm.

Yes the bus passes are expensive, and yes, it is a nightmare that the rules changed so that not only do children have to stay in school till 18 but have to pay for a pass for the privilege, and that Grammar Schools are no longer classed as the nearest school so are ineligible for passes - but those are the rules under which people are applying and they should know this if they have done their research properly. I wish it wasn't so as I am sure it is yet another nail in the coffin for the truly disadvantaged, however, I am not sure what alternative service the Council would have to cut if they reinstated free travel? Cuts to services for the elderly? SEN transport? Healthcare?
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

I think 7.30 to 5.30 is a fairly long school day, and definitely something to consider when choosing a school or weighing up the pros and cons of moving house. It's also a good idea to factor in possible future rises in transport costs, especially if you might have more than one child travelling. Stagecoach put up their fares by an unexpectedly large amount this summer.
Varsha2017

Post by Varsha2017 »

gingerly67 wrote:I think 7.30 to 5.30 is a fairly long school day, and definitely something to consider when choosing a school or weighing up the pros and cons of moving house. It's also a good idea to factor in possible future rises in transport costs, especially if you might have more than one child travelling. Stagecoach put up their fares by an unexpectedly large amount this summer.

My son hasn't complained his bus travel (till now). Just needs his "Me" time when he reaches home at 5 10 pm and is then geared up for his homework. So you can say we are taking our chances so far. We were lucky to get place on council bus just before term started in Sep. so cost wise it's much cheaper. I have repeatedly though asked him if we should move and he says he can manage so far. Not sure though whether it gets more busier as term progresses.
Jyoti2018

Post by Jyoti2018 »

gingerly67 wrote:
Jyoti2018 wrote:An odd request for the topic listed.
A friend of mine (not in Forum) is planning to shift to Stratford from Leamington Spa as she is confident of her boy's place in KES (249 marks). Could any body with similar experience pls advice. She has been in Leamington Spa for 3 years and not very keen on moving. If any body can advice pls - are both places at par on what they offer?
It's worth taking transport costs into account from Leamington to Stratford. Council-run services are few and far between (and to be cut further from next September) and the current bus passes for the public Stagecoach bus are exorbitant. Sorry to take the thread off in another direction, but someone has obviously approached the local MP about this and, in case anyone is interested, there's a petition here:
https://warwickandleamington.laboursite ... s-changes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks gingerly67. The current Stagecoach prices are atrocious. Aren't bus prices regulated? Also will frequency of services decrease because that's good enough reason to move to Stratford then. Not sure how much to rely on getting places on Council bus. With my son score AGS look good enough chance and moving to Stratford will ease his commute a lot. Though my friend son (high enough score for KES) still is undecided and not keen on moving to Stratford.