Veiled teacher: Would your child be comfortable?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

I give up! I wasn't saying it's right to wear a veil. All I was saying was that the debate about whether nursery school children would be put off by not seeing the teacher's face is redundant.

Aisha

Post by Guest »

Appreciate what you are saying Aisha and that you were not arguing the 'for' vote, but I don't think we were only talking about tots. It just goes to show that we also have very strong feelings about our culture and there are some things we feel less able to be accommodating about. This is obviously one of them.

Post by Guest »

I give up! I wasn't saying it's right to wear a veil. All I was saying was that the debate about whether nursery school children would be put off by not seeing the teacher's face is redundant.
So, it's ok for a secondary school teacher wer a veil since there will be boys with raging hormones who will be a "threat" to the female. I don't which school you went to, but waring a veil in education is unacceptable whilst teaching, even at university !
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

I have taught both in the UK and in the Gulf, although I'm not from there. I don't wear either the full face veil, niqab, or the headscarf, hijab and didn't when I taught in the Gulf.

I agree that in the UK to wear the niqab is a statement and those who wear it tend towards extreme views. In the Gulf in many ways it's a statement not to wear it - although some do choose not to – and it doesn't at all imply you hold extreme views.

Personally, I think for a UK citizen to wear the niqab is an unecessary and provocative statement. But I do think we should debate the issue from a standpoint of knowledge. There was a lot of in the tabloid newspapers about a particular teacher in an infant school who wore the niqab and how this would affect the children. So I just wanted to correct the misunderstanding that she would have worn the niqab in the infant classroom. I'm certainly not condoning the veil at any level of education. Just want us to have our facts right.

Aisha

Post by Guest »

Fair enough.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thankyou Aisha for an honest viewpoint.

I agree, it does appear to be about people making a statement in certain circumstances and within certain countries.

When it comes to education, I believe it's about doing everything we can to enhance and feed the mind's of our children. This cannot be done well, in all honesty, without viewing a persons facial expressions and body language.

At the end of the day the goal is to fill our children's brains with knowledge, in the best possible way.

BW