Scrum hats?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bec

Post by bec »

Our ds has been playing rugby since U7's (tag) full contact for 3 years now though. We tried to persuade him to use a scrum hat but......... :roll:
having said that, he's usually on the wing or the full back postion- if he was in the scrum I think I would almost insist- he plays and trains 2/3 times a week so more chance of getting cauliflower ears!!
Re gumshields- have lost count of the amount that he's lost, also their teeth are always still moving and shaking :D so have gone for the cheaper type- he's had no problems. He's also due to have braces fit in about 18 months, at this point we will probably get the gum shield through the dentist- I'm also hoping that by then he'll have grown out of losing things!!!!!

Bec
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I agree with you Bec, our son has been playing since under 6's (now under 12s) and we tried getting him to wera a scrum hat when he started playing full contact. He found that it impaired all his senses so as he plays full-back we let him go without.
This may have been very different if he was in the scrum and therefore had the potential to end up with ears like Jason Leonard!

Gumshields are a different issue though, DS1 lost 3 teeth in a nasty collision playing tag rugby at 7 (all baby ones) and have used dentist fitted gumshields ever since as he finds them so much more comfortable, they also have names printed on them so they are easily returned when they inevitably get left behind.
KB

Post by KB »

You can also get bright colours, stripes etc which helps to locate them when they get dropped/lost :)
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Just1-2go wrote: they also have names printed on them so they are easily returned when they inevitably get left behind.
The teeth or the gumshields .
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

:lol: :lol: Definitely teeth in my DS's case :lol: :lol:
We were watching a tournament that our DS was playing in last season and saw a comotion going on then the coach came running over and placed a large molar in my DH's hand!!! I'm wondering just how many teeth and eyes DS will have by the time he is 18! :roll:
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Lol! :lol: I did mean the gumshield!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Interesting observation, but totally irrelevant to thread subject, I have just opened up this page, and the advertisement along the bottom is for teeth whitening. Is this coincidence, or does the advertising system insidiously search out keywords. More generally, I am a little perturbed by some of the ads. that crop up when considering the principal subject of the website.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Very interesting - I had never scrolled down far enough to notice there were adverts before now!! :oops:
sp

Post by sp »

Nor had I until now. It appears the ads are relevant to discussion on that page; Big Brother def alive and well! I'll now become addicted to guessing the advert before I scroll down!!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'd never noticed the adverts either! Mischief compels me to move the discussion quickly on to cricket boxes to see what happens...

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now