Swine Flu vaccination

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Wow, was preparing for a battle with the surgery receptionist's again this morning but never got one :lol: They asked "why is he priority ?" so I explained that he has heart disease and is asthmatic and she said Wednesday at 0855hrs :?: :lol: I couldn't believe it after being told on Friday they could NOT book me in without first having received a letter and couldn't even tell me if one had even been sent yet, a little relief has now been lifted off my shoulder's!
Pencilone

Post by Pencilone »

Is it possible to buy the vaccine privately? My parents are living with us for a few months and they are high risk (elderly with heart disease and diabetes) but because they are not British citizens they have been refused the swine jags at our local medical centre. I don't know what to do and where to ask. Anyone has any ideas?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Pencilone

Good question ! I am not sure of the answer but will hunt around. The seasonal flu vacc can be bought privately at boots / asda etc etc -

also at the practice we give seasonal flu vacc to people who are temporary residents with us - having said that they would have normally had the vac at their own surgery (in the UK) but for one reason or another are away for a while.

As far as I know the whole of the H1N1 vaccine output as it arrived in the UK was that ordered by the DoH / NHS and hence belongs to them and can't be sold on. It is possible that there are some clinics running who are importing it from europe - that is the only source I can think of.

Update: private clinics definitely can't order off the DoH
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Well my son(reluctantly) had the 1st pasr of his sf vaccination this morning and went straight to school with no adverse affect's whatsoever which is great as I was worried. A little boy who lives in our area died a few day's ago from suspected sf, I can't even begin to imagine what his family must be going through right now but my thought's are with them x
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Pencilone wrote:Is it possible to buy the vaccine privately?
I was in Bluewater shopping centre on monday and I noticed a large poster in Boots stating that the swine flu jab could be given for £12. The advice was to go to the pharmacy for further info.

Don't know if this is a nationwide thing, but might be worth asking at your local Boots, or maybe a large regional one?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Would be very useful if they did!! Have tried googling but only came up with the usual seasonal flu vacc. I wonder if they are GOING to offer this when there is more vaccine available - we are still getting regular info about how the programme is being rolled out. Likely in a while that there will be enough available to offer it in Boots etc.

Only doc I know who had the swine flu vacc had a week off sick!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I know plenty of people who have been fine :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hermanmunster wrote: Only doc I know who had the swine flu vacc had a week off sick!

Yep - agreed the patients seem fine !!!!