What is the difference between a grammar and a good comp?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thanks 1664

Thats really useful, I suppose I need to pin the school down on what sets you need to be in to do the higher level and how soon they decide before the coursework starts.

Just another thing to worry about!
Jed

Post by Jed »

Foundation and higher level GCSEs really mimic the old O level and CSE system, where a top grade in CSE was equivalent to a 'C' in O level.

Initially there weren't 2 levels in GCSE, but then it was found some lower ability students became very demotivated when trying to tackle questions aimed at differentiating the higher ability B-A* students.

It's not true that grammars don't ever offer foundation papers. I know several that put some students in lower sets in for foundation GCSE Maths and languages. Not everyone in a grammar is good at everything. Bit it's more common in comps where they have a much wider range of abilities.

As long as you are satisfied that this range includes high as well as low ability students, and that those of high ability are fully stretched, I don't think you should over-worry about this. Any comp worth its salt is not going to be happy that a student who achieved, say, level 6+ in key stage 3 takes only the foundation level GCSE.

Jed
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Jed

Thanks for the info and for your perspective.

Karen
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now