Barmitzvah money

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zorro

Post by zorro »

Not giving any present or gum(!) is socially unacceptable. A small well-chosen present is great - doesn't have to be expensive but to turn up with nothing is awful. Maybe they will end up running the country!! :shock:
Can you imagine going to someones's house for dinner empty handed? :oops:
zorro

Post by zorro »

KB, that is a brilliant idea! Will remember that when DS's teenage parties start (aaaargh!) :shock:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ironically he couldn't even eat the gum due to his allergies! :lol: If you don't laugh, you'll just cry - or worse! :shock:

Sorry, gone off topic and not much help. So if some are saying £40 and you may have thought £10, would £20 be doable? I never think £20 could look mean under any circumstance.
zorro

Post by zorro »

The going rate at DS's school is £20 for normal birthdays and £40 for barmitzvah birthday parties.
Should have sent him to a Catholic school !! :lol:
Come on all you Jewish parents! Where are you when I need you?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

zorro wrote:The going rate at DS's school is £20 for normal birthdays and £40 for barmitzvah birthday parties.
Should have sent him to a Catholic school !! :lol:
Come on all you Jewish parents! Where are you when I need you?

Then you'd only have First Communion and Confirmation parties :lol: :lol:

I still wouldn't be swayed by a going rate. It's not a business, I like the idea of a carefully thought out present that will mean something to the child as he gets older, rather than cash for something that is a religious occasion as opposed to a birthday.
tense

Post by tense »

Zorro

When my DD attended a bat mitzvah, I asked round about a gift too! I knew money was the usual thing, but someone suggested we gave £18 - apparently this is a special number as it is the numerical value of the word Chai, meaning life (had to google that to remind myself!).

I usually give £15 for close friends (£10 for others) so £18 was OK for me for a special occasion.

T x
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thanks tense,
Yes I have heard of giving multiples of 18.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

This is what I think...

I think you give what is comfortable for you. For some that might be £5, whilst others could afford £40 comfortably.

Of course I can understand that one would want to give 'the going rate' but I have learned that that is not always possible.

I'm not familiar with giving for this particular occasion, but I would imaginre that the thought is more important than the amount?? I may be wrong though.