They Needed a Study to Tell Us that?????

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Post by Amber »

One thing I did want to say but couldn't work out the best language to use (still not sure I have) is that just because a family is wealthy/middle class/educated, does not mean that they are 'better'. There is plenty of neglect in wealthy homes - it is just a different type of neglect. Throwing money and toys at a child, paying for it to do every single club going, putting pressure on it to be the best at everything - these are types of abuse too. It is easy to assume that all is well behind the Laura Ashley curtains of suburbia, but often they hide other troubles. And the type of brattish behaviour sometimes seen in the spoiled children of wealthy parents is no more palatable than the loutish behaviour which has been referred to here. Many teachers would rather have the latter than the former, backed up as it often is by money, pushy parents and 'my child is very bright' type pressure.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

true amber.

A friend who trained with me became head of pastoral care at a Sussex indie.
I was Senco at a pretty rough school at the time. We often said that both sets of children had many problems abuse and neglect can as you say take different forms. I also had children in my class who were happy, well fed, loved and given every encouragement. Income and "social" standing are not good indicators..
Milla

Post by Milla »

blimey don't talk about it. The richest family I know (and we are talking serious wealth, numerous acres, a title, endless endless stuff) has the most dysfunctional children you could hope to encounter. My friend who is closely connected to the family was told by the police, when going to bail one of the children recently that the children of serious wealth were the greatest mess ups in their patch. And there's some rough old bits in their patch. (haven't read all the thread - the beginning, but have missed the last couple of pages so don't know if will be strung up for "rough").
doodles

Post by doodles »

Probably! Perhaps you should have used "not smooth" :wink:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
solimum

Post by solimum »

doodles wrote:Probably! Perhaps you should have used "not smooth" :wink:
Or even "differently textured..."
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

solimum wrote:
doodles wrote:Probably! Perhaps you should have used "not smooth" :wink:
Or even "differently textured..."
:lol: :lol: :lol: