Sport Lingo

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Post by doodles »

Tipsy at our Indie Prep:

First and Second XV, XI etc are made up of Yr 7 & 8 boys and the Colts Teams (A, B,C and D) are made up of Yr 5 and 6 boys.

Don't know about cricket but I do know the RFU are quite strict about boys playing in their correct age group as the game laws/number of players etc changes quite a lot as they get older.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks doodles! :D
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Tipsy when I was at prep school, Colts was U11, though admittedly that was a long time ago!

Doodles, you’re quite right, the rules are very strict in rugby and football and you’re not allowed to play a year up as it’s deemed to be too dangerous.

I’m not sure if the same rules apply to cricket as neither me nor DS are cricketers, by any stretch of the imagination :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Cricket is more relaxed about youngsters playing in an older group as it isn't at least shouldn't be a contact sport.

Locally you find that a U15 team gets short and frantic calls are put out to any spare u13s or even u11s.. , bat them down the order, put them in the outfield to field and occasionally produce them as the secret bowling weapon....
KB

Post by KB »

And quite often get good teenagers playing in the local men's teams - couple of England cricketers who played in local village league for extra practice when they were at school.
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

Tipsy, like Doodles, at my DS's school (and all the other local prep schools), Colts is definitely Year 5 and 6 combined ie Colts As would be the best of Year 5 and 6 put into one team.

CN
doodles

Post by doodles »

Now you've grasped the lingo there's just the rules to go!

At school I have now adopted the attitude of politely clapping everybody, after one particularly embarassing moment that still makes me squirm. At the rugby club itself I am a little more vocal. :wink:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I only go to the matches for the social chit chat, nothing more. I do get annoyed at parents who can't take their eyes of their precious sons when I am trying to talk to them about the quiche I bought in ......... :roll: :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

There's a real art to keeping track of the scoreline will still chatting on the sideline (tip: try not to miss DS scoring the winning goal/try/runs).

Sorry to hear you ladies haven't mastered it yet, what with your superior multi-tasking skill and all :wink:

DS and I have been accused of watching too much rugby on TV when Mrs C overheard DD (then 9) asking whether a match between Leicester and Toulouse was being played at Welford Road (Leicester's home ground). :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now