conservatives to abolish grammars?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Magwich, I am sure you have come to this forum to entertain and shock and do not really believe what you write. I am for GS because I believe in educational elitism (not social elitism) but to encourage your children never to see how a section of society lives, and often struggles is doing them a great disservice. I want my children to be full of compassion, humility and care for those less fortunate. I also want them to be grateful for the opportunities they have been blessed with and to use them for the greater good of society. You may think you are brining up well-heeled children but frankly it sounds as if you will be bringing them up to be judgemental, inadequate adults who are not an asset to themselves, their future children and the country and if that is the case then you have failed as a mother!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Amber wrote:You see, I don't think that! There is no evidence for it at all, and in fact there is evidence to suggest that everyone does better when abilities are taught together.

Yes there is, and no there isn't - children educated in comprehensives achieve (iirc) 4.5 fewer GCSE grades than children of the same ability educated in selective schools.

Mike
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Oh, I don't know Tipsy. Magwich has a point. There is no need for one to have one's nose rubbed in the gutter in order to know that the gutter exists, to care about those who are in it, and to be grateful that one is not living there oneself.
Loopy
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Magwich's comments do not deserve reply.

Cats 12 ...it is the reverse of your statement that is the problem, what about the less well off who want to go to GS...do they not deserve the same chances as their 'middle class' peers? Currently it is almost impossible due to the amount of money most parents are shelling out on tuition, these children are disadvantaged, and that is simply not fair
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

LLL, no one really understands the gutter until they have spent time in it. I am not saying that to understand the plight of the disadvantaged one must have been poor but we should all actively engage in these communities - it does us all the power of good. Of course handing a tin in at the harvest festival is not doing our bit.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

NO NO - I want all those things for my children as well Tipsy.
I do believe what I wrote but you are adding on to it and then coming to the conclusion that we are a horrible family. That is actually rather judgmental in itself.
We are not especially well off and have had to work hard for what we do have. We could not afford independent secondary school but did afford 2 years of prep school for each child. My father was a long serving Shop Steward for the EETPU and I am well aware that we are very lucky and that others are not so lucky.
I am completely in favour of class mobility (especially as I have taken advantage of the grammar school system in this way myself).
BUT trying to be a decent and pleasant person does not preclude one from making any kind of judgment about the behaviour of others. Some people are feckless and useless and no amount of excuses are going to alter that. I just do not want my children to have to put up with them on a daily basis.
I do not see anything wrong with that.
mad?

Post by mad? »

magwich2 wrote: Some people are feckless and useless and no amount of excuses are going to alter that.
And lots of those people are middle class.
mad?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have no problem putting my kids in a school environment where they will have similar peers but you were saying that you wanted their life to be filled with a certain section of society only. It does them no good. So some people appear useless and feckless but they have, generally, had poor parenting and a poor education. Talk to these people, be warm to them and the personal growth for both sides can be wonderful.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I agree with Mad but its not QUITE so annoying when the rest of us don't have to pay for them!!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Gosh everything seems to be going topsy (tipsy?) turvey here. Not only do I find myself agreeing with TIPSY but yesterday, (and only yesterday)for the first time in my forum life I found myself agreeing with Magwich, and then her comment got 'moderated' out! All very strange :lol:
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now