Primary

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mitasol

Post by mitasol »

In an ideal world, I would have taken DC out of school in year 6 and HE. :)
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I am waiting for an appointment to go in and see the Headteacher and DD's class teacher. I will discuss the idea of DD taking in enrichment work, I would hope the school would see it as positive step.

It might be that she is so taken with the private school after the 'taster' day that the decision is made, but it would be nice to know that there is a way of improving things at her existing school if she decides she really wants to stay.

Thank you very much to you all for the positive comments, I knew I could ask the question on this forum. :D :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good luck. I hope it's a positive discussion whatever your final decision. Do let us know what happens - I'm always curious to hear whether schools say yes or no to something a bit different.

Also, do be sure the independent school will really give the stretching and challenge you are hoping. Don't fall for sales blurb! See the evidence yourself, and don't rely on your daughter to judge for herself on the basis of a taster day.

It's even more annoying when you are paying A LOT not to get what you are really hoping for.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mitasol wrote:In an ideal world, I would have taken DC out of school in year 6 and HE. :)
In an ideal world, i owul dhave taken DC out of school in year 6 and NE. :lol: :lol:
mad?
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Very true mystery! We do know a couple of other children there so that does help to get a more balanced perspective!

I will let you know how things go!
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

I'd go for enrichment but then both my DCs wouldn't have liked to have moved up a year as they'd miss their friends. Private school may well provide better challenges.
Re tutoring for 11+ - i'd only do this 6 months ahead max as it is pretty specific work and the work that isn't specific DCs pick up from general reading. If your DC is v clever prob wouldn't need it. Have friend whose DC did about a month basic tutoring at home and got top marks both papers.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I think it's the tutor who needs to change the work set. Going to the cinema is usually more diverting when it's a film you haven't seen before. You're setting your daughter up to be bored at school by having her taught the work in advance.

Couldn't the tutor focus on aspects not covered at school eg VR? It's true that some of the 11+ material is not covered in school until after the exam but that is no reason to tackle everything ahead of time.

Don't believe that independent schools are always further ahead either.

By moving up a year or by moving school you will be putting your child through a disruption that may not be necessary. It seems to me that your tutor is costing you more than just their hourly rate.
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Why exactly are you employing a tutor in the first place if, as you say, you are not preparing her for 11+ yet and she is not behind in anything? Usually people use tutors for one of those 2 reasons.
Amber

Post by Amber »

It would make me feel better to have a wonderfully, enthusiastic person , with time, to stimulate her.I try but it is very hit and miss.
I am sure that your hit and miss is much better than a wonderfully enthusiastic person who would 'stimulate' your daughter. She will do just fine without extra stimulation, she has all the resources she needs right inside her head at age 6 without an all-singing and dancing extra person on board. Why do parents insist on feeling so inadequate for just being ordinary parents? As you will have heard me say before, in most countries, she would not even have started school yet!

EDIT: The post I replied to has disappeared, making this seem like a random rant! Or am I going mad(der)?
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

It's ok Amber, I saw it too - you're not going mad!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now