The time has finally come S-E-X Education

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chelmsford mum

Re: The time has finally come S-E-X Education

Post by Chelmsford mum »

katel wrote:No, I am afraid that the "inter racial" angle suggests nothing but racism to me.
i am sure that Sherry was not making any kind of racist remark.I think, (only my opinion), that as a woman from a minority herself, she was just saying that she has become suspicious of some of the ways in which some races are portrayed - that is all.I am convinced from so much else she has said on the forum that it was not racism just the usual problem of not being understood on the forum at times, because we are posting at speed and don't always realise how it sounds.
Off to bed do can't reply but just wanted to speak up for sherry who is off line.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

The gender education thing only gets worse (much worse!) as they get older
Miss Magwich has just wasted YET ANOTHER couple of PHSE lessons perusing a booklet stuffed with helpful telephone numbers for slappers who cannot say NO. The edifying conclusion of this delightful document was an uplifting strategy for saying no to s-e-x - "No glove: no love"!!!!!!!
Many of my fellow mothers have taken to quoting this to theirhusbands!!
The Misses Magwich are NOT impressed!
I kid you not - the beastly rubbish is distributed by the education authority and so derided by their target audience that Miss Magwich's form placed all their copies in the pigeon-hole of the girl deemed most likely to benefit from the myriad 'phone numbers - a liitle cruel but perhaps it might be a useful wake up call for her!!?1
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

TweetyPie wrote:Do you think it is best for dads to talk to sons and mums to talk to daughters?
Definitely a DH job in our house. DS feels more comfortable talking to dad about anything private - from standing up wees (definitely NOT my area of expertise :) ) to 'birds and bees' questions.

DD watched the DVD last week - yr 5 - boys in one room, girls in another. I did a bit of a de-brief after they'd seen it. For a couple of days she asked questions about it (mainly focused on periods :( ) as she assimilated the information.

As with others here, we had discussed this topic at home already, we wanted to dispel the myths and set the values (there's so much playground talk :shock:). Hopefully she is able to take in what sees and hears at school within that context, well that's the aim anyway.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I've read these posts with interest. My yr 5 child has not had s-e-x education yet at school yet, and has only aked the vaguest questions or made the occasional 'testing-the-water' comment (ie. using rude/slang words). I did buy an age-appropriate book last year when he showed more curiosity, which he glanced at at the time. This discussion has helped me be prepared for when the s-e-x education day comes. and more questions.

Regarding periods though, my son does know vaguely that women have these, as he suffered from kidney failure when he was three which started with blood in his urine . Consequently,he has always been told to tell an adult if his wee ever changes colour, especially red. However, we had an open door policy when he was younger so if he ever came in the bathroom and saw anything inadvertantly, or heard about periods, I always said that women can usually have red wee but boys can't, as I didn't want to get him worried.

These discussions have been useful to me in making me think about the whole s-e-x education situation and how I would have approach it. [color=#FF4080]Thank you everyone[/color] :D
marigold

Post by marigold »

How kind , caring and thoughtful Miss Magwich and her friends sound. You must be so proud.
katel

Post by katel »

Just wondering how long Magwitch's daughter was grounded for when she found out about her bullying behaviour. If she had been my daughter it would have been for about a month - what do others think?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It's certainly bullying. Personally I'd have settled for her apologising personally to the victim.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

chicko-mum wrote:
TweetyPie wrote:Do you think it is best for dads to talk to sons and mums to talk to daughters?
Definitely a DH job in our house. DS feels more comfortable talking to dad about anything private - from standing up wees (definitely NOT my area of expertise :) ) to 'birds and bees' questions.
Thanks. Best prep up DH. He is also very squeamish and we may need a few practices :wink:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

katel wrote:Just wondering how long Magwitch's daughter was grounded for when she found out about her bullying behaviour. If she had been my daughter it would have been for about a month - what do others think?
Yes i agree - certainly not behaviour to be encouraged
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

mike1880 wrote:It's certainly bullying. Personally I'd have settled for her apologising personally to the victim.
Thats my problem that the outcome of this s-e-x education is probably not what it is mearnt to achieve. I read somewhere too that some kids can behave inpappropriately towards each other. They are still kids at the end of the day. Its certainly not working as we have more teenage pregnancies than ever so thats why I question the point of all this or are we just introducing our kids to the pleasures of s-e-x when they are too young. Parkwood in my area apparently has the worst teenage pregnancy rate in Europe and this doesnt suprise me considering the number of teenagers I see pushing buggies.

I think s-e-x education has made thing much worse than they were and I just dont see the posetive outcome of all this apart from giving them tools of the trade for them to go out and have fun and enjoy it at a much younger age. I think this is our role to do as parents and we should be encouraged and given more support to talk to our kids about it rather than the state to do it. So far it has failed so maybe its time to change tact.
Impossible is Nothing.