Help needed costume

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pixiequeen

Re: Help needed costume

Post by pixiequeen »

errr...because it's fun, and kids like dressing up?
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

More to the point why wouldn't you bother? Last week my wife made beautiful outfits for our two(and 2 teachers) for a school parade and in the past we've done Roman shields, togas,animal costumes,etc. It is fun(in between cursing) and everyone enjoys the end result. If the teachers and kids are going to put a lot of work into an activity,I feel it's the least I can do to put some effort in too
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Amber

Post by Amber »

pixiequeen wrote:errr...because it's fun, and kids like dressing up?
Well it's fun for some, especially those parents who, unlike me, are gifted in the costume production department and love the chance to show their children off. I have the artistic skills of a 3 year old and 2 of my children detest dressing up, too, which is a happy coincidence. Often these occasions become a bit like the Easter bonnet competition - let's see whose Mum has the most money and time on her hands. I am eternally grateful to the wonderful mother at the first school I taught in, in London, who was so brilliant that she made stunning costumes for all 3 of the kings in the nativity - then donated them to the school. If you're reading this, Daniel's Mum - I've never forgotten that! And I expect neither have the lucky parents whose sons were cast as kings after that, because they didn't have to worry about sourcing regal regalia at short notice.

My own littlest one was cast as a donkey at his nativity, and was the only one in a homemade outfit of tracksuit bottoms, felt ears and T-shirt. All the other donkeys (oh, and there was a whole herd of them) had bought costumes at a well known high street store, now defunct. The funny thing was, when the local rag came to photograph the production, my son was the only donkey who made it to the final edit. A proud day!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I agree, this kind of thing is annoying and an imposition on parents. Other half struggled with this kind of thing through infant school then lost patience (I never had any to start with), now when we get something like this it's straight down to the costume hire shop.

Mike
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

magwich2 wrote:Sorry but why would you bother?
I do know what you mean Magwich.When my 5 year old came back with the "design and build a train model within 2 weeks", I was cross. The vast majority of the mums at the school gate do not work and have more time to put into this.I have little time,as I have some serious work deadlines approaching and no artistic/design technology ability at all. :oops: It does beg the question "who is this homework for?" A five year old cannot do this independently.
I feel like saying, "No I am not doing it" and what ridiculous and pointless pressure to put parents under.My daughter is quite the "girly girl" and has no interest in the project at all.
However when the day comes when they all bring in their models and they are encouraged to talk about them at assembly, can I bear her being the only one without something to display.No I can't. :(
So I will stay up late ,stressed and gluey one night to produce something laughable she can at least decorate to call "hers". Then it will come home and go the way of the carousel ride, the two storey cardboard house,the castle, the sea creature, the african mask etc etc etc - off to be recycled.

I don't mean to sound grumpy about it all, but I do question the value of such tasks at a very young age when so much is being done by the parent who feels guilted into producing, in my case, some sorry excuse for a train. :(
Amber

Post by Amber »

If I were you CM I would indeed not do it, and would write to the Head to explain why not. This has no educational value whatsoever and the teacher who set it could do with being made to justify it. If you think your daughter will feel left out, keep her off for the morning and say she isn't feeling well (that covers most things - she won't feel well when she realises what she has to do!) A close friend of mine had to produce French hats for all 3 of hers one year - twins in Reception and another one in Year 2. The creations which were sent in and passed off as kids' own work would not have looked out of place at Ascot.

This kind of thing makes me seethe, tbh. I was sent, as a parent, a copy of my sons' school's new homework policy for comment on Friday. I have written 3 pages....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 977246.ece

Try this if you need more ammunition! :evil:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I think you are more of a rebel than me Amber... I will probably cobble something together- grudgingly.Have searched the net to no avail... :( I know you are probably right but I can't explain to my little one that I am not doing it .She will fret and she will be sad.
Off to form a train thread :roll:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Yes to us adult's it may seem annoying or pointless but at the end of the day it's for the kids benefit and they do alway's seem to enjoy it.

The only time we have not made something was this Easter at Midget's school, they were told they had to make a hat and then do a parade :shock: He really did not want to do this at his age so didn't, even the teacher threatening to give him a detention if he did not complete his homework didn't stop him :lol:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

On the costume front I normally muster up something basic last minute. The children have no concept of whether it is good or not and I really couldn't give a toffee what other parents think. competition isn't my thing.

Re homework I get really irritated by these ones that are based on adult help and so I don't help. If my children want to do them by themselves then good and I make sure they feel proud of their effort and if the teacher can't recognise the value of something basic but made independently over some obviously adult helped super creation then I make sure my children do know which is the best.

What the schools are trying to do is encourage ' certain parents' to do things with their children. It is the nanny state attitude of us being a load of incompetentS who don't give a fig about our off-spring and the assumption that they are just left to rot in front of a T.V etc as soon as they leave the school gates.

Frankly what I spend my time doing with my children when they are not in school is based on what they and I want to do not what a school and the government want to dictate.
Ally

Post by Ally »

We're currently in the middle of School Y6 Production. 2 more performance today. Nearly cried last night and I'm never emotional when watching school plays, it was wonderful, unique and comical. It's amazing how it shows off their personalities and brings out the best in a large group of school friends who have been classmates or many years. DS is in a 2 form entry school, so it's parts for 60 plus singing/dancing roles for all of Y5.

There's something very special about getting parents involved in putting there DC's costumes together, it makes each school production unique and most DC feel special because their parents/family have made the time to make/find a suitable costume. If parents can't for what ever reason think of/find/make a suitable costume I sure the school will sort it out

I not sure if DS's costumes( a habit as he's a Friar) will last much longer than the last performance It's made of of a brown sheet brought very cheaply from a supermarket, with a unique style of hand sewing and use of iron on hemming tape. But that's not the point. DS is really proud of his costume and that's why I don't mind having spent time making it.