So Blummin Mad and So Very Sad

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wonderwoman

Re: So Blummin Mad and So Very Sad

Post by wonderwoman »

sherry_d wrote: One mum asked me once if my daughter was sitting the 11+ and then she told me a list of the girls who were going to pass who had that "natural" talent. How she knew that was beyond me. I am sure these mums would have asked the teacher in advance if the teacher would help on appeal and then perhaps get that answer.
These 'knowledgeable' mothers know very little in my experience. I have heard many of these types of conversations and the mothers are often incorrect. I think they do it because it gives them some kudos at the schoolgate. I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I have heard someone express surprise that so and so has / hasn't passed. As a teacher, I'm rarely surprised by the 11+ results.
Daogroupie

Strange Beliefs about admissions

Post by Daogroupie »

A friend of mine told me just last week that a big shot in the city father at her school had said that his dd would be offered a place at DAO because she was sporty and DAO would check with the school and give her a place because she was sporty so she did not really need to bother with the exam! Do these people think that there is another secret set of admissions criteria that run alongside what is very clearly published? I am astonished that middle class parents can actually believe such tosh. Would they believe these things if purchasing a house or a car? Private schools could of course do this if they wanted to. But I can't see Habs or St Albans or City risking their A/A* scores by taking on a girl just for sporting prowess. I noticed one E at A level dragged down Habs a few years ago!
Gman

Post by Gman »

Lets be honest though and acknowledge that these urban myths often have some truth in them.

That is, you can influence the outcome of school selection through tutoring, moving to the right area, etc.

It could also be said that because the reasoning behind successful appeals are not published for all and sundry, there are plenty of areas where myths can form.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

People are spectacularly good at not hearing things they don't like. Mrs 1880, for example, will insist on local RC school being on our list for our daughter this autumn, despite us falling into 8th category of 8 on the admissions policy, school info stating unequivocally that they fill from the first two or three categories every year, and the school admissions officer specifically telling her personally two years ago that we had absolutely zero chance of getting a place. You can't tell people what they don't want to hear.

Mike
Daogroupie

Using up a ranking

Post by Daogroupie »

Well goodness me Mike! if your household won't take advice from school admissions what hope the rest of the population. Can you afford to use up a ranking? Sre you six or three? If you are sure of your second choice there is an argument that says you would have nothing to lose by trying. It just could be a small year!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

We're 6 - luckily, because we'll be wasting at least 3 choices - 4 if I lose the argument over putting at least one school we're certain to get into.

Mike
Milla

Post by Milla »

Can't you just wrestle the form from Mrs Mike and fill it in yourself?? :D
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Well obviously I could. I'm sure if Mr Milla did that you'd be fine about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
mad?

Post by mad? »

mike1880 wrote:Well obviously I could. I'm sure if Mr Milla did that you'd be fine about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?