BBC Programme - Big School Lottery

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capers123

Re: BBC Programme - Big School Lottery

Post by capers123 »

One question the film raised in our household was 'what does the LEA admissions team do the rest of the year'? They're very busy at this time of year, but do they hire extra staff in to cope with the rush?

I was impressed that they actually 'phone parents who've 'put down one school three times', and 'put down 6 schools all of which they're well out of the catchment area of and have no realistic chance of being offered'. These are the kind of parents who turn up on the front page of our local paper each year bemoaning the fact that they've not been offered their choice of school.
Last edited by capers123 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capers
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

TP123 wrote:Completely off topic - but i found the close ups of the children disturbing
I agree - they obviously had a cameraman walking backwards rather too slowly about a foot in front of their face, so they couldn't walk naturally and didn't know where to look. One of the less successful directorial flourishes, hopefully the individual concerned will learn from their mistake.
TP123 wrote:I was also surprised with how included the children were when filling in the forms. I certainly discussed it with my DS, but i recall writing the form and sending it off (all last minute as usual). Rather nice to have the child sitting there filling in the form with you. Will do that with my DD i think.
Rather you than me then! I know enough about Miss 1880's opinions on school choices to have firmly made my mind up that she's not going to be present when the form is filled in :wink: :lol: . Seriously, unless you know there won't be any major disagreements, I wouldn't - look at what happened to the boy where he, his mother and his grandmother couldn't agree and they finished up with only two not very realistic choices on their form.
TP123 wrote:I think it was more fun for the parents who have "done" it rather than for those about to "do" it.
I think you probably have to have gone through the process to appreciate it, but if you're going through the process this year it doesn't necessarily stop you enjoying it - I'm still enjoying it (apart from anything else, I'm pinned to the open day shots trying to see if I can spot anyone I recognise :lol: .). But if this is your first time I imagine it would be a fairly traumatic experience to hear the overblown statistics, see the ludicrous amount of work Zaffiyah's (sp?) obsessive father is making her do (when she is clearly a dead cert for GS anyway - her patience and maturity in dealing with the poor deluded soul was an absolute joy to watch!) and presumably tonight see the disappointment of the ones who don't get their choices.

Mike
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Terribly traumatic! I don't think I can bare to watch the outcome.

Must say, I thought the admissions department were very splendid - ringing up people with unrealistic preferences. :D
TP123

Post by TP123 »

It makes sense that the camera was on the waist - thats why the image looked very odd.

Can't wait for tonight. I hope I don't forget - that has happened in the past.

Mike1880 - are you saying yuo were not as "obsessed" as the dad training his DD for GS? :oops: :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Of course I'm not obsessed!

Mike
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I am cringing watching this progamme, but compelled to follow it through. I, along with many more families will be able to relate to some of the families on the programme, particularly the ones who didn't get their school of choice (I can definitely relate to that - although we got there in the end). I wonder if any of them are going to appeal - current and future appellants might pick up some more tips :wink:

Crossing fingers for the girl hoping for a Grammar place. She is exuding an air of quiet confidence and seems to be keeping calm around her anxious parents.

Chuckling at the 'helping families to establish where they live' and the family renting a one bedroom apartment in desperation. Growling (enviously) at those who can afford to move into the right areas and paying up to 40% more just to get a place at their school of choice, and feeling very smug about it too (If I could, I would!).

Thoroughly interesting programme, showing the stark reality of the whole process and the stresses it can cause, I have it on a series link, so that I can't forget to watch it - unless the television is off of course. Which it won't be. :wink:
TP123

Post by TP123 »

mike1880 wrote:Of course I'm not obsessed!

Mike
I am not accusing you. Just admitting that I may have been similar to the dad on tv - but hoping that I was not. Didn't mean to offend!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Oh, I'm not offended. I may admit to a teensy bit of obsession about 11+ - but not about pencils and long hours of practice!

Mike
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Well it made me pleased I live in the sticks and have virtually no choice. My sister moved from London, partly because of the school situation - from lots of choice to hardly any.

We only get 3 choices on CAF - actually most people only put 1 or 2 down, because the next nearest schools are miles away. To go to our 2nd or 3rd choice last year I would have had to get a taxi sorted to do the school run or give up working. So for 11+ passers most people put GS 1, sec mod 2. Non-sitters and non-passers sec mod 1, often no other choice.

There is a really good side to this though - both schools are excellent. They both take a wide range of pupils from a wide range of backgrounds. Results are good. There is no sink school. I don't know anyone who didn't get their first choice.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I think the whole school 'choice' system must be very easy when you have nothing but good schools (be they comprehensives or grammar) and live within catchment. It's when you have your back to the wall with no choice but the sink school, or as in Birmingham last night, the possibility of gang culture, that it becomes depressing and desperate.

I do wish the government would concentrate on making ALL schools good rather than some of the other crackpot schemes (not just in education - across all policies) which are seen as essential.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now