Will it be worth it in the end?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Will it be worth it in the end?

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:............... and another thing (oops, didn't know it was soap box day today :lol: )

Why such an expensive school? £8,000 per term? I hope they have gold taps there at the very least.
The school dins - sorry lunches - must be amazing, or maybe that doesn't include lunch...
marigold

Post by marigold »

... and another thing....on some forum thing that she posts on she mentions that all her children are constantly glued to various screens and that they all get 6 presents each for their birthdays....poor ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Actually a little editorial licence I think - the fees there for year 8 are £4488 a term (inc lunch), flexi board is another 2k ... maybe they charge extra as she is a pain?
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:I have just googled the stupid woman.
Me too, well it certainly puts the article in persepctive. Barking mad. And oh...she did take her kids out of private school once... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 708825.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ghastly. There is little more unedifying than an affluent mother of 4 with an aupair (in some articles, not in others), the luxury of working from home and lots of hideous sob stories whinging about money.
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I wonder if the kids will cope at a State University :wink: ?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

She is by no means poor paying £8000+ in fees and the one year old is in nursery too so she is definatley forking £10k+ a term.

What is the point of her article anyway? Is she trying to get sympathy, make money or does she just want to reinforce some prejudices?
Impossible is Nothing.
mad?

Post by mad? »

sherry_d wrote:What is the point of her article anyway? Is she trying to get sympathy, make money or does she just want to reinforce some prejudices?
Well given that it is the Daily Mail I would suggest the latter. :lol:
mad?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

capers123 wrote:Our two were at nursery attached to a private school When they transferred to reception, most of the children went to various state primaries, a couple stayed at the private and a couple of others went to another local private. I said to one of the other mums (whose children were also off to state sector) "See you at the local grammar then".
Sure enough, all the children I'd earmarked as bright ended up at the local grammar
The children are all back together again, still friends, and there is no difference in ability or knowledge between them. So was the cost of private education worth it for those three families?
I have the same experience! Excpt my dd2 didnt keep in contact with those that went on to the private school - but has met up and remembered them now in year 7 of the grammar - :)
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

Clearly this lady is intellectually challenged - her writing bears some proof of that - bcause she didn't put petrol in her car, even though she has the sense to realise her car does need fuel to run.

As for her claim that she doesn't mind what they do with their expensive education - that she is more interested in them being well-mannered and nicely spoken - why can't she teach them manners herself, as the majority of us parents do!

I would have thought a bit more parenting and some elocution lessons would fulfill this lady's needs , as well as endear her to her in-laws and, later in life, her son.
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Unbelievable! :evil:

How selfish to put into print her financial circumstances. The girls will find school life with their classmates very difficult from now on I suspect. The fact that she fails to mention that she has in the past taken them out of private school for the very reason of finances just utterly proves her daughters are not in the right place - family life is suffering clearly. (honestly, no petrol to drive ...i suspect the 4x4...to school)

She needs to watch what she writes from now on. I would suggest she should give writing up, but her I don't hold out much hope for her with her other suggested option of using the red light! :wink:
Last edited by suncrest on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.