Where should the apostrophe be?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: Where should the apostrophe be?

Post by doodles »

I think that this is important as this teacher is teaching basic English grammar incorrectly. Yes, we all make mistakes but I would be very irritated by a teacher who couldn't admit that they had made a mistake. Think I would point it out but go along the "oh dear silly me" line as previously suggested.

We had our first Yr 7 parents' evening last night and the thing that the English teacher kept going on about was punctuation punctuation punctuation.
brummum

Post by brummum »

I think the teacher has a bit of a mental block regarding apostrophe usage - we often get comments such as 'make sure you're work is tidy' in homework book.

I could probably understand it more if she was a very young teacher, but she a 'more mature' lady.

I really do think that the little things like this do matter, if it's not important to use the apostrophe correctly, then why not get rid of all the other tricky bits of the English language too?

Otherwise we'll have lots more grocer's selling apple's and butcher's selling sausage's. :D

By the way, I'm not having a go at teachers - I applaude and appreciate the extremely hard job that they do; not for all the tea in China would I do it.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

brummum wrote:I think the teacher has a bit of a mental block regarding apostrophe usage - we often get comments such as 'make sure you're work is tidy' in homework book.

I could probably understand it more if she was a very young teacher, but she a 'more mature' lady.
In which case I would hand the problem over to the school, and talk to someone a little higher up.

A single error is perhaps forgivable, but if she is teaching the children incorrectly for a whole year, a discreet discussion with someone else is needed.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I agree with those who think that this is wrong.
The level of grammar and the necessary niceties are quite basic at primary school level and, let's not forget, this was in a homework devoted to apostrophe use.
Your/you're are basic things and different words. It should be second nature to a teacher to use the right ones.
its/it's is an anomaly which you just have to learn, that the possessive does not take an apostrophe. I taught my boys to remember it by comparing with his/hers which are words in their own right without an apostrophe.
Yes, teachers are busy and human and apostrophes are not the only thing in the world, but they are part of the remit and should not just be kicked to the kerb because there's something more important to stress about. There's always something more important, but it's not to say that arming the children with the correct way to express themselves is not vital, too.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I don't think any of the posts said that it shouldn't be dealt with.The concern was more over how to handle it.I would still opt for the semi apologetic approach myself as I said before, but then I tend to apologise for "bothering" waiting staff when we go out for dinner. :oops:
I just feel that it doesn't have to be either subject knowledge or say pastoral care but that whatever strengths the teacher has should be remembered when tackling this, because I have heard too many parents criticising, carping and belittling staff often in front of the pupils. I have friends that do it to be honest - "Oh don't worry Mrg G is a grumpy old cow etc :shock: "'
Not suggesting the OP would do this but it happens.This kind of behaviour is much more undermining to the children's future development than a teacher with a poor grasp of punctuation. I would definitely tackle it away from the children and gently.
Probably though I am too sensitive and think too much about such things :roll:
Milla

Post by Milla »

well I'm talking the talk but not walking the walk. I rarely walk the walk, CM! I'm wetter than you, nah nah ni nah nah.
For instance, there's an art book currently languishing in my son's bag with a phrase from the teacher condemning him for "taking information off of the internet." My parents were furious at this, From A Grammar School!! Saying that he deserves a better response (incidentally, the condemnation was wrong, he'd sourced more from a couple of books but, whatevs) and how dare she decry his work with such a basic piece of illiteracy. Needless to say I have not done the stride in, demanded of by my parents, to condemn the teacher roundly!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Milla wrote:well I'm talking the talk but not walking the walk. I rarely walk the walk, CM! I'm wetter than you, nah nah ni nah nah.

Hey - "wet" - me :shock: :oops: Actually it depends what it is ......got very assertive when the local M.P and his cronies were doing a door knocking session in our street. :D
On the other hand answer endless so called "5 minute" phone surveys because I feel sorry for them. :roll:
marigold

Post by marigold »

I thought the whole reason we were members of this forum was so we could rant and rave from the comfort of our anonymous ********* and never have to actually walk the walk or stride the stride.

I can work up a deliciously indignant head of steam whilst on-line but in reality am a blushing gibbering fool.
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:I thought the whole reason we were members of this forum was so we could rant and rave from the comfort of our anonymous ********* and never have to actually walk the walk or stride the stride.

I can work up a deliciously indignant head of steam whilst on-line but in reality am a blushing gibbering fool.
Me too!
mad?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I can't even rant on-line properly, more often than not I cave in before the first salvo's been fired :cry: But I am trying to be more assertive this year ........................ it's just taking a bit of time :lol: :lol:

Actually, I'm better at standing up for other people than I am for myself, I always go with the underdog, I can't bear to see an injustice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now