Is it me or does anyone else feel a bit overwhelmed ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Is it me or does anyone else feel a bit overwhelmed ?

Post by scarlett »

Thanks everyone.Have just come back from the school after taking in the acceptance form and walked from the bus stop to see what the route is like....lots of 4 lane roads with fast cars !! however he will be with most of the school in a big crocodile, so shall just tell him to walk between the 2 biggest boys in school to cushion any collisions with cars...

The pack we got from the school was quite reassurring...the new boys have lunch first,go to classrooms 5 mins before everyone else etc.I think it's more me then him...I'm grieving for my small lad...I know it will be all change from now on, you see.

He does make friends easily and the big boys at scouts seem fond of him, ruffling his hair and playfighting etc :roll: which he doesn't seem to mind.He also has a reputation at school for being friendly, but if crossed will apparently " pack a mean punch " so I think he will be ok.He is friends with a boy in yr 7,but you know what boys are like...he will probably ignore him when at school !

It's just such a big change ! :cry:
Floss

Post by Floss »

I felt exactly the same and for the first couple of months after DD started secondary school, I worried about whether we'd made the right choice sending her to school where she didn't know anyone, had to get the bus on her own, she's wasnt very confident either. She's now in year 8 and has blossomed, grown in confidence, made some lovely friends and seems to be getting along very well with her school work. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Don't know if it's any use knowing this in advance, but two male relatives in my family have recently worked their way through Kent grammars. They both have lovely friends, who are also hardworkers.

From memory, these groups took a long time to form - maybe a year or even more to achieve their current shape. Neither boys was bothered about it, but certainly for the first few months there seemed to be a lot of (if asked) "I just hung around on my own at breaktime". It really wasn't a problem, and the boys all seemed to gel into the right groups in the end.

I'm probably drawing completely the wrong conclusions here, but I think maybe the majority of girls make friends much sooner at new schools, and then change them if they got it wrong, whereas the majority of boys take longer over it but then get it right first time round.

Anyway, just a very sexist theory of mine, based on very little evidence.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Well, Mystery ! and we can usually rely on you for good , hard , evidence based research ! :)

I think you may be right.Girls are usually frantic to make friends and not be out on a limb, so to speak , whereas boys aren't that bothered who they speak to...and lets face it, most can't even be bothered to speak at all if a well timed grunt will suffice !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now