Schools administering medicine to kids

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Re: Schools administering medicine to kids

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I do sympathise but guess I was just saying it's not all schools.Our school has been a real support to me when I needed it. Not the nanny state everywhere.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

mike1880 wrote:This wasn't an icepack and sticker bump on the head, it was a full-on, vomiting, blurred vision, losing consciousness concussion
Mike
Oh, Mike...I hope I haven't come across as belittling your dd injury! I wasn't ! :) ...sounds hideous and I can't understand how it wasn't noticed for a whole afternoon.Someone must have propped her up in front of the computer.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

It does make me sad that some are having troubles, normally anti-b's are 3 times daily so wouldn't need them during school. My DS2's(heart disease) was on lot's of daily medication and his old school never had an issue with this at all. Would write in a daily book at what time it was given and who by.

Luckily this year he is not on so much and will very happily take tablet form making life even easier, again though, his new school would never have an issue and there are lot's of children who take in anti-b's and other medication with no problem. Is very sad it is made so difficult for some :?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

No problems with medication at my kids' school - the office has a big box in the fridge for labelled meds, and an even bigger box on the shelf above the fridge ditto. All that the parent has to do is bring in the medicine and sign a form. The school have had attendance problems in the past so they are very keen to keep children in school if they're not 'catching.'

But then - we have lovely helpful office staff. :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

We've never had any trouble either with medicines....but those schools with policies that refuse administering medicines, what do they do with children with peanut or other allergies who may need an epipen?

Mike....that sounds absolutely awful, school should have been shut for that kind of behaviour.

Ours tended to err on the side of caution...we were sent to the hospital on many occasions to be told...Oh they're fine, which we obviously knew, but because a teacher had told us to go, we felt obliged to go and waste NHS resource to be told so.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I recall DS coming home with a badly applied plaster to be told he had to stick it on himself because the school staff were not allowed to touch him.... I do understand but hardly think sticking a plaster on is remotely likely to be mistaken for abuse, I mean really????
Oh and we also had to attend to administer medication, unless we knew any of the dinner ladies who could do it 'as a friend'. If we couldn't then DS had to stay at home. They were obviously not bothered about attendance rates!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
doodles

Post by doodles »

The ladies in our school office are complete stars, administering plasters, antib's and tlc whatever is needed. We do have to sign necessary forms and provide written doseage requirements etc but they are so helpful.

In the early years I was sure that there would be an additional line on the school bill for "plasters applied above and beyond normal allocation" :lol: :lol:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I just wanted to say that as it happens DD's school phoned me this afternoon to say DD, 5, come out in a rash. I immediately went into panic mode OMG how long has she had it? (It has just come out!) Was it meningitis? It turned out her star of a class teacher had already applied the glass test and could reassure me that all was well. The Senior Teacher had also looked at her. She'd simply very suddenly in the middle of the afternoon developed a very itchy rash and they thought it was an allergy or hives, but if I collected her early it would give me time to take her to the doctor's if I wanted to have it checked out. I was very grateful. :)
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I just wanted to say that as it happens DD's school phoned me this afternoon to say DD, 5, had come out in a rash. I immediately went into panic mode OMG how long has she had it? (It has just come out!) Was it meningitis? It turned out her star of a class teacher had already applied the glass test and could reassure me that all was well. The Senior Teacher had also looked at her. She'd simply very suddenly in the middle of the afternoon developed a very itchy rash and they thought it was an allergy or hives, but if I collected her early it would give me time to take her to the doctor's if I wanted to have it checked out. I was very grateful. :)
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DC's primary school had no problem with administering medicine as long as the appropriate forms were filled in My DS had asthma in primary school and the inhalers were kept in a box in the medical room, if they were short of breath they went in and did their own puffs, worked ok.
Thinks Mikes's daughter's concussion 'treatment' is out of order though. As a nurse, I would have been furious!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now