Dealing with travel sickness

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LuluQueen

Re: Dealing with travel sickness

Post by LuluQueen »

Good to know we're not alone :) will try the newspaper next time - but how on earth is that meant to help? We bought those acupressure bands which worked the first few times she wore them, but somehow the effect wore off after a while...
Ginger is not an option, DD despises it :? so are there any OTC pills you can recommend in Boots or Superdrug? Tried Joyrides, worked wonders sometimes, not so successful other times.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well I don't know how but it worked .... the newspaper that is. I honestly can't believe it, why should it work? But on the 15mile journey back from DS1's cricket this morning DS2 sat in the very back of our car (two rows of back seats) and although he felt slightly nauseous he was much better. He still looked very pale but he said he didn't feel as sick.

Perhaps it's psychological, perhaps it was a nice straight road so he wasn't going to feel sick anyway (but he did on the M25 last week) I really don't know but I will try it again and see what happens. All I can say is it is worth giving it a try - and if nothing else at least he would have been sick on the front page of today's paper and not all over the car!
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Have also heard of the newspaper trick but never tried it as I'm fine in a car/coach but horribly sea-sick - just great when I've married into a sailing family!!! :shock: (Think newspaper may get rather soggy on deck!)

My preference is Traveleeze (chewy) (or Sea-legs) which contain meclozine hyrochloride - seems quite effective on all but roughest seas!

Good luck whatever you try!
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

As a kid my mum always made sure I had some Opal Fruits in my pocket whenever a car/coach journey was involved. The sickness went away as I got older but even now I don't travel well in a coach. I think it is the combination of lack of fresh air and the lack of opportunity to stare into the distance.
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Sitting in the front helps too. A large part of road travel sickness is to do with looking sideways out of a side window which causes your eyes to flick very quickly from side to side creating a much stronger sense of motion. Looking directly ahead as has been said means the eyes are not flicking. This does not work so well if you swap to the front once sickness has begun. We found wrist bands and travel pills helped too. Hope you find a remedy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now