Ridiculous and Shocking Price Increases

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: Ridiculous and Shocking Price Increases

Post by doodles »

Glad I'm not the only one that ends up with a £30 pint of milk!

One thing that really really really (got the picture :lol: )annoys me is the price of fruits. I live in Kent - the Garden of England - for heavens sake and for most of the summer the supermarket was selling strawberries and raspberries produced in Kent that were so expensive. Mostly they were advertised at half price of £2 per punnet, that's £4 per punnet (full price) for something that had probably travelled less than 20 miles. Just don't get me started on the price of apples!
sp

Post by sp »

But the fruit never seemed to be on sale at full price!! Is it legal to always say it's half price? I was lucky enough to be watering afriends garden while they were on holiday and was told to help myself!! Raspberries were amazing, every day picked (and ate!) loads so now have lots in the freezer. Blackberries are looking good this year so get out there quick before anyone else finds them.
Jeepers

Post by Jeepers »

Biscuits shock me...somehow the £1 a pack mark has had the same effect on me as the £1 a gallon on petrol did all those years ago and (whisper it, I really am this old) £1 a pint.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Ha!! I distinctly remember petrol being 50p a gallon - now that's old :shock: :cry: :lol:
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Despite living with dh for nearly 18yrs, I discovered this year that he likes blackberry picking. :shock: So far we have filled a round choc box 5 times over, made six batches of jam, filled the freezer and had lots of crumbles. Not to mention the strawberries,raspberries,rhubarb, and gooseberries from the garden. We have also been fortunate to have been offered windfall apples from a friend. I am not looking forward to having to buy fruit again!
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I wish my children would eat soft fruit :( Apparently its too bitty!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Four tins of tuna - £7.49 !!!! Tesco this morning....
Solimum, you were definitely "Done". 4 tins of John West tuna £4 in our (biggish) Sainsburys today.

Lots of yummy apples from the garden here (more baked apples, kids?), blackberries by the bucketload rom the hedgerows and beans from the garden. Anyone got any good recipes with runner beans?
scary mum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh deary me, it gets worse!!

In Asda today, as usual, and I notice the chopped tomatoes (Napolina) are on offer at £2 for a pack of 4 tins. Now, knowing they're usually about 85p per tin I think, wow, great offer and buy 2 x 4 packs (making £4 in total).

I get to the checkout and I check how much they went through for (I always do this as sometimes mistakes can be made :roll: ). Well, they were showing as £4.88 EACH pack. I queried it, thinking surely it must be for both and it just hadn't gone through properly. So off the assistant went, and came back saying they'd been on special offer and had just gone up and were now £4.88 EACH (yes, that's right, £1.22 for EACH can! :shock: ), but as I'd gotten them whilst the special offer sign was up (which she'd now removed) I could have them at £2 per pack. I asked if I could go back for more, surprisingly she said no :lol: :lol: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

I am freezing cooking apples from our tree - it's a bit like a daily production line. I can see crumble becoming a staple this year.

I only buy the value/basic biscuits now and I have to say they are absolutely fine and in fact I prefer the rich tea biscuits to the popular brand.
mad?

Post by mad? »

2 (repeat 2) organic chicken breasts from Tesco, £8.44. One organic chicken... £9... hmmm
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now