Juggling homework, sport and dancing club

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Re: Juggling homework, sport and dancing club

Post by Rob Clark »

I think at your DD's age it is good to do as many activities as possible. How else will she find what suits her?!
My DD did so much in Yr 7 it made my head spin. Now in Yr 10 she concentrates on about three main things.

I agree with this. My two are both sports-mad and DD (Y9) plays 9 different sports for school or club but DS (Y11) now concentrates on 3.

My motto is very much to let them try everything, they can always narrow it down later when they decide what they like best :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The thing I've found about my DC having lots of interests is that you then find out if there's something they are pretty good at which you might otherwise never know. That would be pretty sad. My DS2 started playing rugby a few years ago which I wasn't keen on because A) it's every Sunday B) I hate washing muddy clothes C) He might break his neck . However , it's turned out that he is a natural and always wins tournaments for his group . He's chuffed to bits and now, so am I !

The only downside is the taxi service you have to provide .Twice a week I have to spend 45 minutes sitting in the minutest library in the world ...I've read all their books and so now have to resort to talking to the oldest librarian in the world who works there.I feel like a down and out coming in out of the cold. Maybe I'll bring in some soup.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Scarlett, why not take a book? :D

I agree. This is the time in their lives when they should be trying lots of new things, before work/ self-consciousness/ their brain synapses stop growing-as-quickly - all take over!

Having said all that, if it's causing great stress/ other family members are losing out in some way, I'd try and balance it.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

fatbananas wrote:Scarlett, why not take a book? :D
I've run out of my home books. I'm holding out for Christmas . :D :?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Do they have a computer at the library :lol: :lol: Guilt free time on EPE!
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'd feel a bit embarrassed posting in a public place...someone might read my strange posts over my shoulder...plus there's the raucous laughter I sometimes display whilst on here. Plus I have been trying to wean myself off Unscary...you're a bad influence !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh Scarlett, weaning is now baby-led, so please don't wean yourself off us all if you are not ready!

Sounds like our library - I didn't know there could be two like that in Kent. I like the idea of taking a book to the library!! Maybe they should dispense with the shelves and put in more comfortable chairs and call it a reading room.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That's a good idea ! I always have to sit hunched over a table fuming because someone with the largest elbows in the world has decided to sit next to me, flicking through a newspaper.

Sorry everyone.This thread is turning into how to juggle your childrens social lives with your own.
nada

Post by nada »

Don't worry Scarlett - it's always useful to get some tips how to deal with kids' busy social life.
solimum

Post by solimum »

scarlett wrote: Sorry everyone.This thread is turning into how to juggle your childrens social lives with your own.
I read it first as wanting help with "juggling homework" - I wasn't aware circus skills are now on the national curriculum!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now