detentions - who suffers most?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: detentions - who suffers most?

Post by scarlett »

His tutor is supposed to sign it as well but his part is always blank too. No one to forge his signature it would seem.

After DS detention ( which he didn't tell me about ) I'm always paranoid he's had another one when he tells me he only had time for a sandwich at lunch :? Still, if he has an after school detention he knows DH will pick him up and he's told him he will ask to speak to his teacher about his misdemeanours...hopefully that will put him off !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would explain to the school that there is no way your 10 year old is doing after school detentions because of the upheaval to the rest of the family.
Sorry LFH the school has a legal right to do this - every school publishes its behaviour policy so there is no excuse I'm afraid.

Of course the person who suffers most is the poor innocent teacher who has to supervise the detention.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I read it as Year 10 rather than age 10...if I got that wrong and the child really is 10 then I think this level of punishment is somewhat draconian and you have every right to feel extremely annoyed.

My son's school dishes out Saturday morning detentions for persistent violations. If he got one I would be less than chuffed, as it would involve me in a car journey unless I decided to make him walk for a couple of hours, but maybe this is the point? If the sinner causes a lot of inconvenience to the family, then maybe the family will put pressure on said sinner not to repeat the sins, as they will be so hacked off with the consequences and disruption. That way the punishment comes from family as well as school.

That said, if the actual, unintended consequence is that parents get cross with the school, I suppose it could be said the policy does the exact opposite.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

:oops:

Idiot calling - of course it's year 10 - in which case ignore me :lol:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Sorry, I think the age confusion is my mistake. I read it as ' 10 year old', possibly because my son turns 10 in a few weeks time.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Guest55 wrote:
Of course the person who suffers most is the poor innocent teacher who has to supervise the detention.
Not sure about that - they generally stay at school anyway, so this way they're getting a bit of company :D

My comments were about primary aged children - of course a secondary school has to have a behaviour policy that must be followed.

In my view, I have picked kids up from detention and been really annoyed with them. I have also made them make their own way home (no fun if it's two trains and a walk), and this has generally been of more use than the detention itself.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

My son (year 8 ) once forgot his French book - the first time ever - and his teacher sent a note home saying that if he forgot it twice more he would be in a lunchtime detention! Talk about OTT!! He is usually very good at remembering things, does his homework on time etc etc.

It was the first time he had forgotten it and what makes me mad is that there are kids that don't wear blazers that were made compulsory this school year - so do they get detention every third day for not wearing the correct uniform - I doubt it very much!
Last edited by twinkles on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I have to sign my son's homework diary every week. I used to do this on a Friday until, one day, I noticed that there was a red ring around my initials. I asked my son why this was and he said that the teacher had told him that I was not to sign on a Friday but that I must do this the following Monday. I had been 'told off' by the class teacher! Who knows, maybe I will get a detention if I do it again. :lol:
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

I can't remember the last time I signed my son's homework diary - he forges it every week.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now