Latin!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Anonymous wrote:
I think it is very useful if you are thinking of going into Medicine or Law as a career.
fortunately don't need it for being a doc these days -
I don't know about law but I can assure you that hermanmunster is correct and its not going to make a huge difference to those who may be looking to go into medicine. My failings at Latin never stopped me being being able to distinguish my gluteus maximus from my ulna!
Strictly it ought to be being able to distinguish your gluteus maximus from your olecranon.....

Post by Guest »

Strictly it ought to be being able to distinguish your gluteus maximus from your olecranon.....
very good - obviously I'm not on the ball this afternoon. :D :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

:wink:

I only got it cos I was leaning on my olecranon seated on my gluteus max waiting for the last two patients who were late!!!!!.......
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Now we know why the NHS is falling apart, hermanmunster - all the GPs are on this forum!

Hope the bolts are nice and tightly screwed in still. :lol:

Sally-Anne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yes - mind you had to get them oiled at the 48,000 service - they kept squeaking when I turned my head!!!!

trouble is the forum is addictive and the NHS just don't seem to have any suitable treatment at the mo...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can always join us in rehab - there is no cure!

Post by Guest »

So do you or do you not require it for studying medicine and Law?

Have heard many different things and DS is going to a grammar that does not offer Latin as one of its subjects, and DS is veering towards these two professions.

Thanks for any clarification.
juliette

Latin!!!

Post by juliette »

Wow,i really did start something here! A big :P thankyou for all the enthusiastic replies.......My son wants to be a Forensic scientist!!! Early days yet though. We had a peek at a few web sites...And we both agreed Latin seemed very interesting,and if JK.Rowling studied it then we cannot go wrong! My son said it would help him with his English.......Bless! 8)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You don't need it - Universities cannot ask for a qualification so few schools offer.

"Most UK medical schools support the introduction of a new UK Clinical Aptitute Test (UK CAT) to help select applicants for the undergraduate medical degree. This will run during 2006/2007 for applicants for 2007 entry or deferred entry for 2008. Initially, it will not be used to select applicants but rather, to test its validity, practicality and potential to improve the selection process." [copied from a Medicine course statement]

http://www.ucas.com/

has details of University courses and some course requirements
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Deffo do NOT need latin for medicine... despite the comments above :oops:

All the names of bones / conditions / are Greek or Latin and are just learnt as names - as they would be in any language - eg haematogenous (bloodborne), hepatobiliary (pertaining to the liver and gallbag) - might be easier if we just spoke english.......
(best one DS likes is Otorhinolaryngology for Ear Nose and Throat)

The rest of phrases are again just learnt - like the things on prescriptions eg dol urg (for pain) qds ( for times daily) AC (ante cibum - before food).

None of this was included in Latin O level (at least if it was I don't remember....)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now