Leave/holiday during term time in Council/Grammar school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Leave/holiday during term time in Council/Grammar school

Post by Etienne »

.... it was considered very important that children should be in school, getting an education
I was just thinking, as I wrote the above, "I wonder if this might draw Magwich in?" :lol:
Etienne
daveg

Post by daveg »

Last edited by daveg on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Looking for help wrote:Yes I understand that - I expect the OP would have to make do with a maximum of 10 days, and I would imagine that no matter where you are in the world, 10 days should be enough for whatever occasion is going on.
But their child might fall ill for two weeks, starting from the last day of the booked absence, necessitating spending an extra two weeks away. These things of course happen so frequently it might be easier to book the flights for the whole four weeks, just in case.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah but they might fall ill at the end of the 4 weeks, so maybe book for 6 weeks?!!
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

Well replied mystery!

Dave g you replies are odd you should be practical. Your replies apply to those parents who take every now & then for a holiday . I am a parent whose annual leave always loose it as I am having more than the minimum days I can carry over.
To those who have said why 10days? ...answer is its an important event , spending a big amount ...so we don’t want to be VIP’s we want to involve..thats the reason
I am sure many parents wonder why I am fussing about taking a holiday ...because this is the first time I am going to take a holiday in the term time and I am panic. As I am sure I cannot avoid the function as its once a life time event and also sure school is not going to authorise..so I would like to know what action school takes if I take the 2 weeks holidays even if school didn’t authorised it?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Eraldo wrote: I am sure many parents wonder why I am fussing about taking a holiday ...because this is the first time I am going to take a holiday in the term time and I am panic. As I am sure I cannot avoid the function as its once a life time event and also sure school is not going to authorise..so I would like to know what action school takes if I take the 2 weeks holidays even if school didn’t authorised it?
Eraldo, I think we have already answered your question about what the school will do and there is also info about fines etc in the links earlier in the thread!

"once in a lifetime event" or not, it will still go ahead regardless of whether you or your kids are there (presuming of course that you or your kids are guests rather than participants :wink: ).
daveg

Post by daveg »

Eraldo wrote:As I am sure I cannot avoid the function as its once a life time event
No, you can avoid it. You're just choosing not to. And that's why the school will be annoyed: you're saying to your children that holidays are more important than education, and asking the school both to agree, and to do what's needed to help your children catch up the missing work. If that's what you're set on doing, fine, you'll have to deal with the consequences. But don't make out that you don't have a choice, because you do.
SUpple

Post by SUpple »

mystery wrote:Ah but they might fall ill at the end of the 4 weeks, so maybe book for 6 weeks?!!
Well, there could be traffic coming back from Heathrow, so maybe book for 7 weeks?!! :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

My experience and those that I know of with relatives abroad is that schools are prepared to bend over backwards for them because of the PC nonsense. Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised the school may say yes. I know twins who even missed year 6 SATS to be abroad for a family wedding and the school was completely mute about it despite the family taking this as unauthorised as it was SATS time.

Our county and most counties have discretion for families from abroad similar to this
http://www.kent.gov.uk/education_and_le ... _time.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what they say
Occasionally, holidays of more than two weeks to visit family living overseas may be unavoidable. Parents should discuss with the school the most appropriate time of the year and point in the child's education for this visit to take place. This will help minimise disruption to the child's progress at school.
By the way I wouldn't just talk to them but fill in the absence form and write a letter why you need the time off. Just talking with them mean they can say whatever bluff they want but on paper they have to think about what to say to turn down your absence. I wouldn't go into much detail about the even't, important family event abroad is sufficient and if they want to know more they can always ask you.
Impossible is Nothing.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I think I would also be concerned about the impact on your child whom you say has just started at a new school and I don't mean in terms of being given a detention, but rather in terms of feeling awkward about fitting in, having to catch up on lots of missed work, settling in etc.