Nativity

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Re: Nativity

Post by ginx »

I do think reception is the best year for nativity plays. Whilst not overly religious, I prefer a traditional nativity to some random play about spies or aliens.
ginx

Post by ginx »

JRM, I will probably cry at dd2's last year before secondary - because she loathes drama and I don't think she will ever be in a play again; I don't think secondary schools do nativity plays. Which is a sad reminder that she is growing up, and she won't be with these friends again. :( (I won't be thinking of the numerous fall outs amongst the girls.)
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Pictures and videos are fine at our school but I do find that you can't really enjoy the event if you are making a video so am usually reluctant unless DH really wants to see something but can't get there (he rarely shows that much enthusiasm for school events though :roll: )

I just spent the morning trying to convince DS4 to get into his costume for his nursery play - he didn't want to because it was a pink shepherd's costume. He said 'no way!' and grabbed my leg. Then when it was time to go to the stage and perform, he said 'this is all so silly' and refused to join the others and attached himself to my leg again. There were quite a few of the younger nursery children who got upset when they saw their parents and didn't participate - their mum's were so calm and lovely and picked them up.....I was the opposite I am afraid :( . I was so grumpy that I took the morning out and it was just a waste.

It was DS3 in the afternoon. He took his dancing role so seriously it was funny but pretended he didn't know me as he usually does on school premises. DS2 tomorrow and I feel obliged to attend as it is his final year at primary but I am getting fed up with all these events now. End of term parties, concerts, plays .......

So no pictures for me so far this year

UmSusu
UmSusu
ginx

Post by ginx »

UmSusu, you too have four dc! I know what you mean by having had enough ... I love the Christmas plays etc but it can be a logistical effort - I can't be in two places at once - Sat night ds1 is singing (he's in a male choir) and I've heard him a couple of times in a couple of years; it is dd2's first time singing in a choir in a church - we have paid to go to dd2's event and ds1 isn't happy - partly because he has to miss his concert, and we're not going, and he's got to babysit! He's been to virtually every singing event over the past few years!

We can't be in two places at once! I'm sure both concerts would be lovely but what do you do?

My ds1 and ds2 are at secondary school so a little more independent - and no plays or concerts! Or Christmas fairs at school! Thank goodness (but I know I'll miss them when all children at secondary school ... but that's not for years ...)
JRM

Post by JRM »

I'm still producing a nativity play for Christmas Eve. Only on Christmas morning do we get a rest. I've only got 3 children, but going to watch 3 plays would be hard for a working parent. DD told us not to bother going because hers was terrible. We probably shoudl have listened to her - she made a very wise assessment!
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
doodles

Post by doodles »

scarlett wrote:Many parents video on their mobiles and I'm getting fed up with having to watch my children through someone else's screen whilst they give their child the big thumbs up every 2 minutes. :roll:
Oh, scarlett, I so agree with this, it really took the biscuit last year when I had to watch most of the school carol concert IN CHURCH through a video screen :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I think the only bit I saw "live" and not second hand through said screen was the Vicar's sermon :shock:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I must choose the wrong seat. During our harvest service I had an over the top ( and rather large ) mother standing up for a better view of her child and she happened to be sitting right in front of me. In the end I hissed " just sit down " and she did look sheepish. I was beginning to think I should have disguised myself as a pumpkin and sat right at the front.

I also get annoyed with parents who let their toddlers roam right on to the stage , screeching , whilst they look fondly on. It usually happens just as my child is trying to do their part :evil: Maybe I'll take a big net with me next time.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

At DD's primary, parents are not allowed to bring younger children.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Ridiculous rules about "no photography" have really really really irritated me today!!!! DC no.3 was Mary in the School Nativity. (DC1 never wanted to be in any plays and always helped behind scenes, DC2 never got picked for any parts because 2 or 3 theatrical girls/singers etc always got the parts) .Therefore, quite excited about seeing one of my kids main stage and singing a solo!!!!Then told no photos allowed by the head. Obviously, I ignored this and took loads of pictures (no flash on) and very discrete. Got told off after play (not as discrete as i thought!) and then big email went round from school to all the parents afterwards about how parents were told NOT to take photos but many did. Told that we had to delete all photos from our cameras and phones!! But the reason being that we needed to respect the parents who didn't want their children's photos taken!! I had already argued the point that these parents were a minority and that the majority of parents DID want some pictures of their children! I suggested that those parents who didn't want their children photographed in groups should not be given parts in communal school plays/nativities/assembleys and that the majority of us could then take photos! They thought I was joking and all laughed! To be honest, I think so long as we sign something to say we are using the photos for personal use and not to go on the internet/facebook etc then that should be fine!!! I don't see why a parent can't take a photo of their own child!!!! Grrrrrr. Rant over. Anyway, Mary was lovely, baby Jesus appeared to be a bit smothered at times (!) and one of the 3 kings fainted. Brilliant though!! I just love Xmas!!!!!!!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1's first school Christmas play, the message from the HT was "feel free to take photographs". The next, we were told no-one was allowed to take any. It seemed to vary from year to year. For the past two years the "Christmas event" has been outdoor carols - a complete shambles. Unlike some Mummies I have no problem with either my little darlings or myself having to stand around in the cold for a bit, but the real low point the first year was the way the children were allowed to bellow and gabble the final carol, with absolutely no attempt at control by the teachers :shock:. This year we only have DS2 at primary; as DH is tone deaf I have volunteered him for this pleasure whilst I attend DD's school carol service (they have a proper choir and it will be indoors :) ).

scarlett wrote:I must choose the wrong seat. During our harvest service I had an over the top ( and rather large ) mother standing up for a better view of her child and she happened to be sitting right in front of me.
Back in the days when we had the pleasure of watching nice long plays in the hall, one year I found myself sitting in the back row behind someone's Glamorous Gran who kept standing up. I had never been especially friendly with the Mum sitting next to me, but we were obviously on the same wavelength; each time the GG stood up, we both found one of our hands reaching for the back of her chair...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now