Kitchen without exhaust hood?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Re: Kitchen without exhaust hood?

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, Amber, I'm sure it may also be available in L***, A***, M********, S*********, W******* and possibly M**** *** ******** too, but I wouldn't want to contravene the advertising ban :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I should b***** well hope not, Snowdrops.:shock:
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

And there I was wondering why A*** , as in 'Ding Dong A*** calling', also did mould cleaner :roll: . I must try harder to insert the correct letters for asterixes (sp?)

The HG mould spray from Lakeland is brill, needed 3 goes (and a DIY face mask) to reclaim the original surfaces, but now a quick squirt suffices occasionally, to keep the mould away in our chilly, damp bathroom.

Sorry for naming things, didn't want to confuse anyone by using ************* (insert any letters depending on mood or just keep as asterixes!)
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

brentfordmum wrote:Sallytb, I didn't know the current regulations required ********* to have a hood, any idea from when ? This new extension was added in 2009, so does this mean they violate building regulations?

When I buy any house, if the house violates any building regulations, does it then become my responsibility to correct it?
Regrettably I have had to become something of an expert on this (and much more) recently, since we are involved in a project where we are trying to move a kitchen in a listed building. As I understand it if an existing kitchen is (or was after 2006) extended, then there ought to be an extractor fan somewhere. It could be above the hob, in which case it would have to extract at 30 litres/minute, or it could be somewhere else at 60 litres/minute. So a cooker hood is not the only way the problem can be solved.

The person who put the extension up ought to have had a building regulations officer sign it off at completion, and if they got the sign-off then that is prima facie evidence that the regulations were met in relation to ventilation as well as everything else, so you can rest easy. If the sign-off has not occurred then the responsibility is yours to put things right. It is hugely unlikely that the council will take action against you. Your main problem is likely to be with a prospective purchaser when you come to sell. The lack of a sign-off will probably be picked up by the purchaser's solicitor and could cause difficulties for the sale, particularly if the purchaser needs a mortgage.

I hope the viewing goes well :) .
Loopy
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

We also had big kitchen extension and an island. Luckily was given some tips, threw original document with the tips, but from memory :

1) Don't bother with a non vented (filter) type, filters need cleaning every few weeks (but no-one ever remembers to do it, so they dont work and end up blowing fatty steam around the whole room)

2) Read the technical specs, you only need to compare decibels and volume of air per minute. Get quietest you can afford, if noisy you will be loath to run it on full. Remember extra 10 decibles is double the noise as its a logarithmic scale

3) Fit 6 inch ducting pipe, not 4 inch (its rarely in your local DIY store, but easy to source on the internet), and choose a hood that takes 6 inch ducts, the free space is over double so drag is much less and you will find it a lot quieter for the long run you are likely to need from an island (6 inch is the round pipe size, but there is a rectangular section for running between joists or in false ceiling, try and plan a duct route with least bends /couplers), the lower the drag the lower the sound of wooshing air.

Apart from above points, the choice is really style, width and price. Its only when you are frying, or cooking something smelly and then go outside near the duct exit you realise how important a good extraction system is. Hope this helps.
brentfordmum

Post by brentfordmum »

Thank you everybody for replies. The kitchen was added in 2009, but the vendor said the extension was signed off on completion, so hopefully it's OK. Thanks snowdaddy for the useful tips incase we need to add a hood.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now