Bletchley Park

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Re: Bletchley Park

Post by Marylou »

If they liked the Dam Busters and are interested in WWII, then I'm sure they'll enjoy it. When we went there were code-cracking activities (whoever said learning codes for 11+ was irrelevant? :wink: ) and a fascinating toy museum, though I don't know if that's still there. We took MIL along who got in for free as a WWII veteran and was made especially welcome. She had been offered a posting there but had turned it down in favour of something ostensibly more exciting on the Kent coast. :shock: She wanted to see what she had missed. :lol:
Marylou
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Just to update, we took the children (now 12, 9 and 8 ) this weekend. They absolutely loved it. They had an interactive guide on iPod touches that had a lot if information, the novelty value was good. But they soon realised the guides were much better to listen to they really brought the story alive.

We spent a lot of time in the toy museum, the chap there spent ages with my 9 year old showing him all the homemade toys made from matchboxes, candles and tins. They LOVED the Bombe machine. We must have been looking at it for over an hour - they were so excited when it was switched on. Again the guides were fantastic and great at dealing with the children.

So well worth a visit, it had something for everyone; history, codes, cars, lifestyle, people stories and even a couple of herons for the nature lovers!

Thanks to those who encouraged us to go.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Marylou wrote:If they liked the Dam Busters and are interested in WWII, then I'm sure they'll enjoy it. When we went there were code-cracking activities (whoever said learning codes for 11+ was irrelevant? :wink: ) and a fascinating toy museum, though I don't know if that's still there. We took MIL along who got in for free as a WWII veteran and was made especially welcome. She had been offered a posting there but had turned it down in favour of something ostensibly more exciting on the Kent coast. :shock: She wanted to see what she had missed. :lol:
That's interesting as it mirrors my mother's story - she was offered a posting there (and knew it was something extremely secret, but no more) but refused as she wanted to stay near the sea. I wonder if your MIL and my mother knew each other! Kudos to both though, as they only offered postings there to the brightest.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now