Mobile phone network advice for Luddite please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

Re: Mobile phone network advice for Luddite please

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Yes, but wouldn't I be tied into a year contract?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

mike1880 wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would go anywhere other than "the network run by you" at the moment. Have a look at their £10 goodybag and compare to alternatives. Their phone network is through O2. You can find free wifi coverage in most cities; if in doubt ask a passing teenager, they're usually pretty adept at getting online in my experience.

I discovered it because our work phones are now through that one; as soon as I realised how cheap it was I moved our daughter across to it as soon as I could organise myself to do it. Mrs 1880 will follow when her contract expires and Master 1880 if he ever uses the £50 credit I put on his phone when he got it at the start of Y7 (he's now in Y10 and two handsets further on, since I have to put £5-10 credit on every time I replace the handset and he uses about £2 a year this could be an infinitely long wait).

Mike
I use giff gaff too, as does DH and DD. :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Yes, but wouldn't I be tied into a year contract?
Giff gaff is payg, but you can set up auto top ups do you don't have to remember or run out of credit.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Giff gaff isn't PAYG - it's a contract but only on a rolling monthly basis, so no long contract. We are all with them too and it is great. Calls between giffgaff users are free as well & don't come out of your allowance (texts too, I think). Also useful if you have limited texts are things such as What's App. Sorry if these things have already been mentioned, I am on my phone.
scary mum
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

GiffGaff has a standard pay-as-you-go services as well as what they might call 'SIM-only' contracts - depending on the service you choose.

It also lets you know whether you should change from one style of payment to another at the end of each month, depending on your use of your phone.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

PS Can you tell I'm working from home today on a project I'm easily tempted away from? :oops:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Tinkers wrote:
ourmaminhavana wrote:Yes, but wouldn't I be tied into a year contract?
Giff gaff is payg, but you can set up auto top ups do you don't have to remember or run out of credit.
Sorry, I mean, I don't currently have my S3 and would like one in which case I'm looking at a two year contract to another provider. GiffGaff sounds great if you already have a phone, but any suggestions for people like me who don't? :D
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Personally I'd be going with Three.. But I do use huge amounts of Data.. Also all their tethering is free.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sorry, what's tethering, horses aside?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Basically using your phones 3G to allow other items such as laptops to use it to connect to the Internet where there is no other connection available