How do YOU pronounce .......

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Re: How do YOU pronounce .......

Post by southbucks3 »

My lovely mum, God rest her soul..(She believed, so that's for her) could never ever get her head round pizza, she always said peeza, no matter how many times we corrected her. I wonder though why some anglicised words are accepted without complaint, particularly in the car industry. Volks wagon, Alambra, see at, to name just three.
ToadMum

Re: How do YOU pronounce .......

Post by ToadMum »

Hawarden, in Flintshire: 'Harden', not 'Hawden. As in Hawarden Castle of Gladstone fame. And very much less famously, where I and my parents lived for eighteen months or so back in the mid-60s.

My History teacher at my school in Staffordshire must have been mispronouncing the place to girls in Lower V for about 30 years, until 1974, when she found herself with both myself and a girl called Jackie who had just transferred from a school in North Wales.

We tried to tell her politely, but I think our hands shot up simultaneously at the first mention of the place :lol:

I later lived in Camberwell in south-east London, where there is a road called de Crespigny Park. That's 'de Crep ny', although some people - not all of them fellow in-comers - really couldn't cope with it not being pronounced as seen.

A local-ish one here in Essex is Witham, pronounced 'Wit um' not 'With ham'.

And BTW re 'Pepys', in the medical world there is a fairly well-known personage whose surname is just that - and pronounced as written :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx