Outings, especially the Poppies at the Tower of London

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Outings

Post by southbucks3 »

We made it, worth getting up early for, even worth missing rowing for, so must have been good! Very beautiful and very calm considering there was still quite a few people around even early on.
We had just finished slowly circumnavigating the tower on the walkways, walking slowly, taking lots of lovely snap shot photos, when at about 8.30 - 9 am, when the security guards cordoned off one end and made it one way....phew, from then on the queues looked horrific, crowds building at an alarming rate as we strolled off to the river. We had parked for just a few pounds at Catherine's docks, so right next to the tower, we had a good look round the docks too, saw the queens ceremonial boat and the Thames hippopotamus.
The best thing about going in early was giving the boys a whistle stop guided tour, particularly around Trafalgar square, westminster and the shard, we normally walk into town from the west end of Hyde park parking, so it was a treat for them to have a lazy tour. There was a film being made on Waterloo bridge, some kind of motorbike chase, which was so exciting to see I deliberately looped back for a second look, the whole bridge was closed off, so obviously a big film??
There was an absolutely massive yacht on the Thames, so we had lots of billionaire fantasy talk too.
So if you haven't been, go very early, very few rug rats to distract from the atmosphere early on, so great if your children are older and more interested in what they are seeing.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

A real shame that we can't go, DC would have liked to go but it just isn't going to happen and they will have been removed by the time we next go to London. The pictures I have seen from friends do make me proud that all those who died can be remembered in such an inspiring way.

But talking about moving places to visit, we went to the Anne Frank Museum last week and luckily for us we got there at 8.30am, queued for over an hour and it was well worth it. Very moving museum, no one spoke as we slowly moved through the building and add was so inspired that she is going to do a homework presentation on it. When we left after over 2 hours the queue was at least 3 hours long and growing. If any of you go to Amsterdam it is worth a visit but get there very early or try and get online tickets.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Well we survived! Yes, it was busy, but because of all the hype I was expecting far worse! The Olympics is my benchmark, and it was nowhere near that crowded :shock:

We stayed 'til dusk and heard the Last Post, which was very poignant; and then walked all the way around in the dark, which was just beautiful. Its lit until 11pm if you're able to go later - I'm so glad we've seen it :D

JD
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Cranberry wrote:Such a balmy night! And so calm and lovely, despite there being several ghoulish party goers around. Just lovely.
We must have walked around together, Cranberry :)

JD
Ally

Post by Ally »

southbucks3 wrote:We made it, worth getting up early for, even worth missing rowing for, so must have been good! Very beautiful and very calm considering there was still quite a few people around even early on.
We had just finished slowly circumnavigating the tower on the walkways, walking slowly, taking lots of lovely snap shot photos, when at about 8.30 - 9 am, when the security guards cordoned off one end and made it one way....phew, from then on the queues looked horrific, crowds building at an alarming rate as we strolled off to the river. We had parked for just a few pounds at Catherine's docks, so right next to the tower, we had a good look round the docks too, saw the queens ceremonial boat and the Thames hippopotamus.
The best thing about going in early was giving the boys a whistle stop guided tour, particularly around Trafalgar square, westminster and the shard, we normally walk into town from the west end of Hyde park parking, so it was a treat for them to have a lazy tour. There was a film being made on Waterloo bridge, some kind of motorbike chase, which was so exciting to see I deliberately looped back for a second look, the whole bridge was closed off, so obviously a big film??
There was an absolutely massive yacht on the Thames, so we had lots of billionaire fantasy talk too.
So if you haven't been, go very early, very few rug rats to distract from the atmosphere early on, so great if your children are older and more interested in what they are seeing.
We must have been there at the same time, what a lovely morning, we even managed to catch the sunrise over tower bridge. Just wish the dog was more chilled, he wasn't happy waiting whilst we took loads of photo's.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I so want to see it, may go next weekend, no matter what..
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My grandma was a nurse in Wimereux where John McCrae died; she may even have nursed him.

I thought I'd post this, his famus poem, as it seems appropriate:

In Flanders fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Thanks Guest55
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Just had a fantastic day at silverstone this afternoon; great race today and the weather was fantastic too for most part.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Perfect Guest55, thankyou.

Next Sunday morning is one of the most special for me, when we proudly watch our boys honouring the fallen. They will be at rugby but just before 11am every match will stop, every boy from every team will stand with his team mates on the centre line, the gun from the town service will fire and I can guarantee that you could hear a poppy leaf fall. When the gun fires again three cheers will go up.

Those mud covered boys, and there will be 300 or 400 of them ranging from 6 to 18, will honour the young men not much older than them who fell.

We will be proud and grateful and I will cry as I do every year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now