moved

Re: Pantomimes

Post by moved »

yoyo123 wrote:Oh, Yes I Do....
Oh no you don't...
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DD is going with school, they take the Junior school every year and so DS went when he was there. We don't go as a family due to the cost and our local theatre has some great shows through out the year and so we prefer to go and see other shows.

We also don't go to the panto as DS has got upset in the past as his dance school provide the dancers every couple of years and one year he auditioned, didn't get a role because he was a boy and cried all the way through the panto when he went with school. Since then he has refused to audition and now doesn't care if he goes to them or not.
brentfordmum

Post by brentfordmum »

Thanks all for your replies & thanks Peridot for all the suggestions. No, we're not in Brentford now but closer to Kingston, so will try to go for the show in Rose Theatre.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

We went to the Birmingham Hippodrome last year and it was the best panto I had seen in a long time. It is expensive but now they are older my boys run out of ideas for Christmas so their Nan gets them these.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hope you enjoy it brentfordmum!
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

succeed wrote:We went to Birmingham Hippodrome's production of Snow White last year - hilarious fun and worth every costly penny imo. Not sure it was aimed at young children though. :wink:
We saw Aladdin in 2007 with a 3yo dd. We all loved it too. They had some brilliant 3D effects, John Barrowman, Daleks, kids humour and adult humour. Did cost a fortune and Hippodrome don't discount for children. When we left the theatre my dd started crying, when we asked why, she said she didn't want it to end.
Elibet

Post by Elibet »

The smaller venues cost a lot less ( roughly £14 adult , £12 child tickets) so may be easier on the pocket. Please make sure that it is a reputable theatre company - you don't want to fork out to watch your local church warden prancing around in some amateur production.

Am I the only one who thinks that the pantos they show on telly with all the "celebrities" they can muster, smacks of smug self conscious egos, all of them trying to outdo the other?

Would have loved to see john barrowman, though.

I don't know how expensive stall seats(no point in sitting anywhere else at the theatre?) at to the royal ballet's christmas performances would be. It's on my bucket list.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I can't bear pantomimes of any sort, celebrity or not, and fortunately my boys don't get them either.

I had intended to get tickets to the RSC's Christmas production "A Christmas Truce" as it looks fantastic (about the Christmas Day German/Allies football match) and the current troupe of resident actors are amazing, but the school are already taking DS2 so we will do something different with DS1 instead.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

We're off to see that in jan, ic an highly recommend the RSC family productions. We are kindly treated to the trip by family friends, and we've seen Robin Hood, The Mouse and his Child and Peter Pan, all utter
Y fantastic, very dark but so clever and the scenery is amazon. I'd always go for what they are showing, even if it wasn't a play that initially inspired me, we've loved very one.
As you say, some of our sons are going with the school anyway, but I am sure he will enjoy it so much he'll be happy to go again.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Anyone wishing to see a pantomime for no cost at all could come to my house when a cat has brought a live rodent in and secreted it somewhere under an item of furniture. Lots of 'it's behind you', 'oh no he didn't' as well as me as the pantomime dame, complete with secret weapon of tea towel, baddy in the form of the perpetrator (boo, hiss) and slapstick with the moving of large items of furniture and discovery of unsavoury things behind them. We have never quite managed the community singing but I am sure there would be scope for a chorus of 'Three Blind Mice' or 'Old MacDonald's Farm' if the public demanded it.