Christmas is coming... what should I get my 11+ year old?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elibet

Re: Christmas is coming... what should I get my 11+ year old

Post by Elibet »

Thank you all for your great suggestions. DS always enjoys receiving new PJs , so thanks! I'm going to get him some new ones.

Might even consider a pair of those ghastly onesies he seems to love.

I've already got him one of those Timex digital watches for school- cheap and cheerful, also waterproof, with plenty of alarms that he can set himself. It's become an indispensable piece of kit for him.

Does anyone know of a decent chemistry set for older children with experiments that actually work?
KB

Post by KB »

They are pretty expensive for what they are.
How about looking online for ideas of experiments and collecting a box of bits to add to 'found around the home items' or buy a book of ideas that uses stuff that is easily bought from diy stores/ chemist.
Do take care not to stray into inappropriate sites :)

There are lots of school supplies sites that sell direct to public on internet now to get test tubes etc if you want to make it look more 'scientific'.
KB

Post by KB »

First Book of Chemistry: A Course of Simple Experiments for Beginners at Home and in Primary Schools (Classic Reprint)

Hopefully this is OK re advertising rules as its just an example - it looks to take a good approach in developing scientific minds through fun activities.

Sure there are lots of others available :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Or going back to one of my first ever posts "Crisp Packet Fireworks" is a book with science experiments you can do at home!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Has he got a microscope?

Boys can be truly gruesome once they have their own decent microscope, something all mine enjoy and I actively avoid looking down for fear of what I am looking at.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elibet

Post by Elibet »

Lovely ideas, thanks. I'm sure many readers would appreciate your comments so please don't stop!

Re Microscopes southbucks3, my DS always complains that the one he uses at his secondary school is so blurry and difficult to see through.
Is it possible to get an affordable one that still gives you a decent image?
I'm not a bio scientist so I have no idea about them.

Which make did you get your boys?

Trouble is. my DS is too squeamish a fellow to be analysing all those exciting bodily secretions that all seem to begin with S. :)

Thank you kenyancowgirl, I did buy the book a few months ago on your recommendation, was really excited by the contents, enthusiastically gave it to DS who read it in bed for a couple of days and then conveniently forgot all about it.

At his age, I would have LOVED such a book.
Elibet

Post by Elibet »

KB wrote:They are pretty expensive for what they are.
How about looking online for ideas of experiments and collecting a box of bits to add to 'found around the home items' or buy a book of ideas that uses stuff that is easily bought from diy stores/ chemist.
Do take care not to stray into inappropriate sites :)

There are lots of school supplies sites that sell direct to public on internet now to get test tubes etc if you want to make it look more 'scientific'.
Thanks a lot KB. Shall do. Given recent events, I've been too scared to look up recipes for chemical reactions online, or source things like Ammonia or Borax or whatever from the internet, for fear of having the Anti Terrorism Squad come knocking at my door.

The book is a good place to start. Thanks again :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

They currently have a manual microscope, but I am getting them a digital one for Christmas, instagram users watch out!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

KB wrote:First Book of Chemistry: A Course of Simple Experiments for Beginners at Home and in Primary Schools (Classic Reprint)

Hopefully this is OK re advertising rules as its just an example - it looks to take a good approach in developing scientific minds through fun activities.

Sure there are lots of others available :)
perfectly OK, in fact I am going to look it up!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

drat! I've just ended up buying crisp packet fireworks! EPE is bad for my bank balance
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now