Erasers to be banned?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: Erasers to be banned?

Post by Minesatea »

They have been banned in our primary for several years. DS2 always looks at me oddly if I suggest he uses one at home.
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

After spending 6 weeks volunteering in a Year 1 class, I can understand why you might want to ban them but for neatness and efficiency reasons. Rather than just crossing out, the children would spend ages rubbing out - and often not just the mistake, but the whole sentence/sum - and writing over, not very clearly. I think it's much easier, quicker and neater to just cross out and move on!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Stokers wrote:After spending 6 weeks volunteering in a Year 1 class, I can understand why you might want to ban them but for neatness and efficiency reasons. Rather than just crossing out, the children would spend ages rubbing out - and often not just the mistake, but the whole sentence/sum - and writing over, not very clearly. I think it's much easier, quicker and neater to just cross out and move on!
Me, too. I would ban them, especially in maths. Rather than doa correction they rub out the answer and write the new one in, so that it looks as thought it was marked wroungly. They are my pet hate..and they leave mess all over the table and books
:twisted:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Our year 4 teacher must have shares in rubber manufacturers. All children were put back on pencils so that they could rub out to their heart's content and avoid what the teacher feels to be messy crossing out.

My daughter has, as result, used more rubbers than me in my whole adult life.

This strange man, whoever he is, has a point.

I call them erasers when teaching to avoid the sniggers. Another word I learned not to use was poke.
Last edited by mystery on Sun May 31, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

In engineering, the word ''Flanged Nut'' often pops up
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is it a rubber flange? Do flange nuts have advantages over plain ones? If so, we could have found a good reason not to ban the rubber.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I would be totally stuffed at sudoku if they universally banned rubbers, I do get a bit stressed if my pencil topper breaks leaving just the metal casing!

When Ruskin taught art, by copying leaves etc, he considered rubbers an essential part of the tool kit, to see the error, erase it, improve upon the work over and over in tiny detail, although I think his pupils must have had very thick paper.

Life would he great if we could just rub out our mistakes and not leave evidence that we made glaring errors, but it would be very selfish as no one else could learn not to do what we did. With companies and authorities insisting on evidence of every action and virtual "paper trails" it's not surprising that children are now being encouraged to expose their mistakes. Our structures teacher never allowed us to rub out, one line score through mistakes allowed him to see if it wasn't a mistake after all but that we had subsequently followed it with one.....which I seemed to did far too often!

There is absolutely no way as a child I would have allowed a teacher to spot a silly mistake, rubber or not, it would have been covered over with pencil or ink like a censored letter, I hated getting things wrong, let alone admitting it.

As an aside the construction industry is full of double entendres, perfect when lecturing to class rooms full of 17 year old day release lads!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now