Time off for dance exams

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Re: Time off for dance exams

Post by quasimodo »

As an example if you go on the Royal Academy of dance website in particular areas they hold exam sessions over a number of days at approved venues some of the dates are weekends.If you talk to them you maybe be able to get an alternative which is suitable.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The teacher will have arranged this and you cannot make your own arrangements for exams.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

"It is good to talk."

http://www.rad.org.uk/achieve/exams/tea ... ms-uk-only" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This just an example.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

quasimodo wrote:"It is good to talk."

http://www.rad.org.uk/achieve/exams/tea ... ms-uk-only" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This just an example.
The 'special exam arrangements' are still something that the teacher has to organise well in advance. Given that the rules on authorising absence have been tightened up in recent years, however, perhaps there needs to be better dialogue between examination boards and the department of education or whoever; there would seem to be no point in the former arranging exams which no candidate could attend without feigning illness. Since Drama and Dance are both established school subjects, equally it seems a bit churlish for schools not to allow /be allowed to allow time off (presumably only once a term) for an exam set by a national board.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I agree Toadmum and am amazed that this school has taken this stance. The thing that I can't understand is how they can justify allowing DC an authorised absence for music exams but not dance. How dare they make a judgement call on one being more worthy than the other. My DS is having to put just as much work, if not more, into training for his dance exam than any of his previous music exams. I am really opposed to DP being forced to encourage deceit in their DC in this sort of scenario so I personally would take it as an unauthorised and be writing to the governors about their inequitable authorised absence rules.

I would say that DSs have never had to take a whole day off, normally a couple of hours covers exam and lunch after. Hardly leads to academic failure or a life on the streets. I despair of how ridiculous these absence rules are becoming :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

quasimodo wrote:"It is good to talk."

This just an example.
Quasimodo you really aren't helping at all ... 'subject to a surcharge' that means it costs more and it is not necessary.

The person should read the school's policy on attendance and appeal to the Governors or LA if they feel the HT is acting unreasonably.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree that it is a ridiculous stance to take. Having said that, all the dance exams DD has ever done have been on a Saturday (ISTD) so presumably the dance school can try to book weekends? Maybe it costs more, or something?
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If they are going to have to pay a surcharge, they may as well take the hit and be fined for an unauthorised absence.

For back ground, the family live in a very rural area. Most of those at the dance school come from completely different schools, and from a wide area. The dance school has never had a school refuse permission in the past, so wouldn't have needed to even think about making special arrangements. The exams have already been scheduled, so cannot really be changed.

However we have found this.

http://joannamardonschoolofdance.co.uk/ ... gWales.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which might help.
I've also mentioned about appealing to the governors.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We were worried when DS went to his all boys GS that they would not be happy with him taking time out for dance exams and competitions and they have been great, even when due to the time he would not return to school. This week he had a grade 5 modern exam and missed a Spanish listening exam, he spoke to he head of languages who said instead of him sitting the exam another time he would look at his previous assessment marks. Also they have always marked him in the register as authorised for competitions or educational trip for exams.

I do know at his dance school that they do not get to choose the time or date of the exams, they are allocated by ISTD, and you have to try and get there. Occasionally they have been at the weekend but not always and they do have some in the evenings. But as previously stated they are always done in small groups of 3/4 children, in a specific place due to the need for a special floor and due to the fact they have a habit of running late they don't like them to go on to late in the afternoon. I know in rare occasions a dance school might be able to negotiate swapping dancers over in groups if there is a problem, I know this happened at DS dance school due to an important exam. Sounds like your friend might need to talk to the dance school as well as the school.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Good news!

The LEA have overruled the headteacher and given permission. Howpfully this clears the way for future exams as well.