Hillary Benn's speech in the Commons last night on Syria.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Re: Hillary Benn's speech in the Commons last night on Syria

Post by Catseye »

quasimodo wrote:Apologies to anyone offended by the humour on such a serious topic.
It's the Great British Way-humour and mockery at the expense of these animals but we reserve the greatest mockery for ourselves !(Dad's army or Allo Allo ,anyone)?

We, the British People, refuse to bow down to threats by a psychopathic and nihilistic death cult masquerading as the only true interpretation of one of the Greatest World Religions.

And by British I mean all of us- Muslims-Ahmadis,Christians, Jews, Hindus,Jains, Buddhists,Sikhs, Zohastranians,Bhai's ....and most of all the non-believers and the poeple like me who sit on the fence as agnostics -we are all infidels to them!

We are all stronger together.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Catseye wrote:I bet his dad( R.I.P) is turning in his grave!
He would have seen that his son wrestled with his conscience, and decided on an outcome that he thought was morally right. He would seen that his son spoke with passion, that he spoke on behalf of society.

And the first time in ages we have had a speech in the House of Commons that has engaged the common man, and several days after the event, we are still talking about that speech. In fifty years time we might still be talking about that speech.

Tony Benn would have been proud of his son.
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

QuasiM - LOL! :lol: For the record, I agree that Mr Benn snr would have been proud of junior. You can bring up children to have their own opinions and then expect them to think the same way as you.
It takes a village to raise a child
piggys

Post by piggys »

I agree with fatnorville; I think it is quite inappropriate and rather snide to make the comment that 'his dad would be turning in his grave' - how do you know? Is it the case that children must always espouse the views of their parents in order to be a 'good' child?

The Benn family has a history of speaking up and speaking out. Melissa is a great writer and public speaker too.

The question of air strikes on Syria is a doomed one. We - and the Syrians - are damned if we do or if we do not. Personally I do not see what is to be gained by air strikes.

From a purely educational perspective, there is much meat in that speech for my lessons on rhetoric and oratory, so many thanks to Hillary Benn. :)
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

This was an interesting article in last week's Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/i-a ... 61006.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I think one of posters on the comment section nailed it!

"We are forgetting that tony Benn was president of stop the war. What kind of lunatic can imagine him in that position as being easy on his son for his pro war speech? He would have been furious! He could not have insulted his father more!"

My father to this day has not and will not ever forgive me for marrying a Jew!!

And yet, he loves me to the moon, the stars and beyond.

The article is a nonsense.
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

Catseye, I think that is exactly what the article is saying!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now