11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Warks mum

Re: Shakespeare celebrations 2016

Post by Warks mum »

Let us know how you get on!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I said I would give more information on the ambitious fundraising event that KES Stratford students are undertaking on April 23rd. Leaving at 4am (I am sure they would appreciate any flag waving support!) in the morning, a group of staff and students are cycling from school to Marlow Boat club, carrying a quill from Shakespeare's tomb, in a baton. They will pass this over to a group of rowers who will take the baton to Windsor. The baton will then be relayed all the way into London and end up being presented to the Director of the Globe Theatre, on stage, just before their special production of Hamlet kicks off.

It is 125 miles in all and the biggest logistical challenge the sports PTA have ever taken on. This event is part of the general celebrations, activities and events the school are running, celebrating the opening of the Schoolroom/Guildhall to the public. More importantly, the even is raising funds not only for sport at the school but 50% of all profit goes to WaterAid and the local Air Ambulance. http://www.justgiving.com/teams/ShakespeareShuttle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (every single penny raised through this online system goes to the charities - after JustGiving have taken their small administration charge)

We are planning on having a gazebo either near the schoolroom or in Bancroft Gardens where we will track the progress of the event, throughout the day, so do pop along and say hello!
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good idea but a shame, in my opinion, that they aren't giving it all to charity.

I'm not sure Shakespeare would think that school sport should get the money!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:shock: :shock: I think that is quite a disappointing response, but not unexpected, Guest55 as you of all people should know how very difficult it is for any school to fundraise at all for anything. They could of course all sit on their bottoms doing nothing and raise NO money for ANY charity...However, I have edited the post above to show that every penny raised online goes direct to the charities, as that is the way JustGiving works.

I think Shakespeare would probably have recognised the massive effort that has gone into this and will go into the actual event and said 'well done! Well done to all those children who are giving up one of their Saturdays to work REALLY hard cycling, rowing and running 125 miles not for their own benefit but for the benefit of EVERYONE who goes to that school AND as well as that WaterAid and Air Ambulance". because, after all Shakespeare was most likely brought up with the old adage, if you can't say anything nice.... :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I do know how difficult raising money is -

I think he would more likely approve if the English department benefited rather than sport ...

I just think it would be more meritorious if they were giving it all to others :) The two causes are surely worth that?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on here - this is just mine.

{Just Giving do take a cut for themselves don't they?}
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes...of course, in the Bucks schools, that is no doubt what they would do.... :? Thank you for making me chuckle though...

Unfortunately, here in less altruistic Warwickshire, where we have to scrap for every penny, the sports PTA (clue is probably in the name), are trying to raise money for sport AND the school charities - Instead of knocking them, perhaps you could try and be supportive? And, maybe if the English or drama or music department (or maths for that matter) had wanted to run a sports challenge where people cycled, rowed and ran all the way to the Globe, that is where the money would have gone too...but it's a sports challenge with sports students doing it!! Lol!! Funny how that would be more acceptable to you than sport - slightly hypocritical though!!!! :shock: And, whilst we are pontificating on Shakespeare's opinions, I think he would be more of a realist.

But yes you are entitled to your opinion, although hopefully yours is a uniquely negative take on it. And yes, JustGiving do take a cut - all the big fundraising online systems do - it is very clearly stated in the terms and conditions - no surprises to anyone - and no surprise that you would also see that as a negative and point it out.

Hopefully, others will see it differently. I'm always pleased to see students getting off their bottoms and trying to do something :D :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

Good on them KCG sounds like a challenge and I'm sure the dc's will rise to the occasion. Hope the weather holds out for them and they raise a good amount in return for their efforts. Do let us know how they get on.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:. And yes, JustGiving do take a cut - all the big fundraising online systems do - it is very clearly stated in the terms and conditions - no surprises to anyone - and no surprise that you would also see that as a negative and point it out.
You did post that all the online money was going to charity and I've met a surprising number that did not realise that online Fundraising sites don't pass it all on.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Oh for goodness sake...!! :shock: :shock: It really takes a special person to take the attention away from the fundraising event and try and make it appear like it is a REALLY bad thing....

For that sake of brevity I have edited again - thank you for taking all the goodness out of this event for me. Talk about raining on the parade!!! It is genuinely no surprise when parents don't want to help schools fundraise when they meet this kind of negativity.

Thank you doodles for seeing the event for what it is - a celebration of the opening of the Schoolroom and the Guildhall to the public and a way of challenging the students to work really hard athletically, and raise funds for sport for the students who come behind them, AND valuable funds for a local charity The Air Ambulance and also Water Aid.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Warks mum wrote:BBC2 is looking for an audience for the Shakespeare Live! event as well now, though applications close on Tuesday 5 April so you'll need to be quick!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _23april16
Hi Warks mum, :D

Thank you for the link. Thanks to it, I have applied to two events:
- The Shakespeare Essays
- Shakespeare live!

Unfortunately, in both case, my name has not been drawn… :cry: :cry: :cry: However, I will try to have a close look at all the activities which will be on on that particular weekend in Stratford in order to go there if the weather is nice!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now