Audio books

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Peridot

Re: Audio books

Post by Peridot »

Daogroupie wrote:Just William read by Martin Jarvis. I cannot recommend this highly enough. My dds are 15 and 17 and it still make us all laugh.

The Hobbit, Wind in the Willows, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Tom's Midnight Garden. DG
Definitely agree about Just William: Martin Jarvis gets the voices just right and the stories are timeless and hilarious. We also loved The Witches read by Simon Callow. Fabulous Norwegian accent and quite properly frightening. My favourite was always to out on anything from an old 1980s collectors' series called Storyteller. It's a wonderful, eclectic, spellbinding collection of stories and poems read by a wide variety of big names of the time. I can particularly remember episodes of Gobbolino the Witch's cat read by Sheila Hancock. They may be difficult to find now as they came out on audio cassette originally, with a magazine each week. It's worth hunting them out if you can find any copies.

My teenagers tend to listen to their own stuff on headphones these days and I have radio 4 spouting on. I really miss the time when we could all be enfolded into a fabulous story in the car together. We used to often end up staying riveted to our seats at the end of a journey because we couldn't bear not to hear the end of whichever tale we were listening to.
Yamin151

Re: Audio books

Post by Yamin151 »

Ooh ooh, me again!! More ****** Horowitz by Anthony Horowitz. Its vile in a cartoon revolting kind of way - these have had us riveted!!