Teaching in Primary schools

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

guest3 wrote:My son's teacher is fantastic. He is in a really difficult split Y1/2 class with an interesting mix of children. My son is highly able and also motivated. Attention is split between the less able, the behaviourably challenged and the gifted extremely sucessfully. I know I am lucky and truly appreciate the teaching. The next teacher is less succesful at this!
Maybe that's part of the problem in some schools - inconsistencies.

Post by Guest »

Just thought I would add my bit here.

My daughter is in year 6 at a very successful school (primary in Bucks). She is currently going through an appeal (not far off the mark, very strong case....but another story) I will throw this into the mix to see what people think.

She was at another school 5 miles from where we live and was there from year r to year 2. From day one they pigeon holed her as the class bimbo!! (before you ask she is not blonde, but I am!!). During year 2 I was constantly fighting battles with the teacher as she found her reading books so easy, I was told she is not capable of reading them.....funny she could with me. I explained she was lacking in a little confidence but they should be able to draw it out of her!! (I did say this politely). But at the end I was told she would struggle to get 2c's in her SAT's. She actually got 3 x 2a's. She left on stage 6 in reading!! At her new school in the first 3 months she went from stage 6 to free reader, (and no this was not for the schools benefit). She started fresh and they did not judge her. At the same time at the last school my friends daughter was treated as the class genius to the detriment of the rest of the class, now in year 6 she failed (I hate that word) by a significant amount. My child is expected to gain 5b's in Eng and Science and 5b in maths, she gained 130+ marks in practice tests, but had a blip in the 11+.

What I am trying to say is had she stayed at the previous school, she would never be where she is now, as the two friends she had at the time gained low 100 marks in the 11+ and they were seriously treated as failing. I have a lot of respect for teachers but some schools are seriously failing our children!!
sj355

Post by sj355 »

What I am trying to say is had she stayed at the previous school, she would never be where she is now, as the two friends she had at the time gained low 100 marks in the 11+ and they were seriously treated as failing. I have a lot of respect for teachers but some schools are seriously failing our children!!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your contribution. Exactly what I had been trying to say all along! Good luck in your appeal,
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now