Prom Etiquette

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDuck

Re: Prom Etiquette

Post by PurpleDuck »

Amber wrote:Tee hee. Just tried to see if there was a male equivalent of a corsage and discovered that the synonyms for corsage are nosegay, which I knew, and tussy-wussy, which I didn't. Parents of Y5 children take note - there is a synonym section is KS2 tests now and most of the knowledge required is similarly useful in 'real life'.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Quick tip on the shoe thing... I asked DD about a pair of shoes she was wearing the other day that looked a little worse for wear and she reminded me that they had cost £6. She already had a pair of heels for the prom but thought they would probably be unconfortable after a while so 'invested' in the cheap pair of flats so she had something to wear on her feet for the rest of the evening. Apparently her friends wished they had done the same!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:I know of a couple of girls who completely ignored the dress thing and went dressed in dinner jackets instead. And very fine they looked too.
Fantastic. My favourite story on here for a long time! Thinking if I ever get invited to anything posh again I might just copy that idea. 8)
KB

Post by KB »

The dinner jacket idea sounds fun. Another way to cut costs is to hire ( is that still possible? - DDs prom was some years back) or buy from a dress exchange or charity shop. If you pick your location and start looking early enough there are some gems to be had.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Amber wrote:
Tinkers wrote:I know of a couple of girls who completely ignored the dress thing and went dressed in dinner jackets instead. And very fine they looked too.
Fantastic. My favourite story on here for a long time! Thinking if I ever get invited to anything posh again I might just copy that idea. 8)
If your DH accompanies you, will you try to persuade him to wear a ball gown...? :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Proud_Dad wrote:If your DH accompanies you, will you try to persuade him to wear a ball gown...? :D
Ugh. Though I take your point about equality. He said he thought I would look pretty good in a tuxedo but the thought of him in dress is a bit freaky. Chest hair where there ought to be cleavage. I am not as open-minded about that I have to admit.

Chances of us going to something posh together are pretty slim actually - I generally refuse to go to any of his work-related things and mine are too far away - and very much not posh on the whole. Sandals and dreadlocks, we hippy academics, and so much smoky haze where we hang out that you can't tell what anyone else is wearing anyway. :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

As far as I can remember, I have only been to two events actually described as a 'ball' (and absolutely totally zero 'proms'). The first was a Medical School ball with DH when he was still DBf, so to speak - that was good fun (fried chicken dinner and George Fame as the musical accompaniment :) ). The second one was the Christmas after DH became a consultant, when against our better judgement we allowed a GP friend to talk us into going to the local senior medical staff 'do'. I found myself stuck with her senior partner for what felt like half a lifetime :evil: . Over twenty years on, we have never gone back.

DS1 seems to have quite enjoyed his sixth form prom, despite the stress of his then Significant Other tasking him with finding himself a tie the precise shade of 'purple' (it wasn't, not to anyone with normal colour vision, but he managed it in the end) as her dress. They even had an after-party.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx