New party leaders

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Proud_Dad

Re: New party leaders

Post by Proud_Dad »

salsa wrote:I guess he listened to his wife. What do you make of the email sent "by accident " to a third party?
I'd have serious concerns about their relationship if that's how they genuinely email each other! Accident my a*se! :lol:

I mean she could have at least tried to make it sound slightly more genuine. "BTW can you drop by Waitrose and pick up some more semi-skimmed and a loaf on your way home. Thnx S. ***", or something.

See Guardian's take on the email here

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... aked-email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

salsa wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:So Michael Gove is standing for leader - I didn't see that coming, Boris must be upset. I'm not sure how much of a chance Theresa May has, being a 'remainer', but I would quite like a woman for a PM, maybe it would make it easier to sort out a few things with Angela Merkel.
I guess he listened to his wife. What do you make of the email sent "by accident " to a third party?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I missed that - only now have read it, not sure whether it's more hilarious or more embarrasing!

ETA - I've enjoyed reading that Guardian article, Proud_Dad. :D
Last edited by PurpleDuck on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

PurpleDuck wrote:Confirmed candidates for the Conservatives' leadership election:
Stephen Crabb
Liam Fox
Michael Gove
Andrea Leadsom
Theresa May
That's one dinner party I'd certainly avoid - Boris would at least have been amusing ... Where's Jeremy Hunt for a clean sweep???

JD
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Boris is out.

So Gove it is right chaps? We do love him so dearly.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, at least boris would have been amusing. My guess is he always intended to pull out at the last minute - or rather, never imagined things would get this far. He's probably emigrating like anyone sensible and able to is probably considering at the moment!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Proud_Dad wrote: I'd have serious concerns about their relationship if that's how they genuinely email each other! Accident my a*se! :lol:

I mean she could have at least tried to make it sound slightly more genuine. "BTW can you drop by Waitrose and pick up some more semi-skimmed and a loaf on your way home. Thnx S. ***", or something.
Why would you email your spouse anyway? Apart from to forward things sent by your kids' school so they can't pretend they didn't know there was a parents' evening? Spouses text. Things like 'you left a tissue in your jeans when you put them in the wash', or 'can I move that letter which has sat unopened on the table for the last three months?', or, as my husband texted me yesterday when my son sent a 'selfie' of us at lunch, 'poor you you look sooo tired!' (Just what I needed to hear before two meetings!).

Mystery, someone made a rather rude joke about Boris pulling out at the last minute. I won't repeat it but perhaps you can imagine.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Boris is showing an ounce of intelligence - he knows that the next Leader has to sip from the poisoned chalice - if it goes well fine but before they really have a chance to sort anything, there is likely to be a General Election to face and I suspect it may not go well...Boris does want to be PM but he does not want to be PM right now....

It is a poor choice of candidates - the Tories will do well to remember how hated Gove still is from the damage he did to education; ditto Hunt if he dares throw his hat into the ring. May is likely to win as the others will divide the votes - but as JD said, I am not convinced she is fully in the Remain camp anyhow.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I must admit I am very disappointed that the one person who showed some real vision in this leadership race namely Boris Johnson is not standing.None of the others is an electoral asset and have his political reach which he has demonstrated in his two campaigns as mayor of London and in the Brexit campaign.

Most of the others are relative unknowns except Teresa May and Michael Gove. Teresa May was in my view a poor Home Secretary.She presided amongst many issues over immigration and its many debacles.It is on her watch she has over 4000 prisoners who are on indefinite sentences who having completed there sentences languish in prison for months and years with no assessments to ensure they would be a danger if they were released.If she was judged on her record then it does not bode well for the country.She is said to be a reluctant Remainer then if she did not have the courage of her convictions how could any one on the leave side trust her which are the majority of Conservative supporters.

In respect of Michael Gove many in the country did not like him as Education Secretary although many on the right supported many of his changes.As Justice Secretary I think he has been very good mending relations with lawyers and the judiciary after the debacle of Chris Grayling. But in this Conservative election even if he is one of the two going forward I expect Conservative voters to hold his assassination of Boris Johnson against him.

Compared to David Cameron we have some very poor choices.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

What do we know of this Stephen Crabb chap? Never heard of him before tbh, but he's from a more ordinary working class background so may be better placed to try and unite a divided country than the usual old etonian brigade?

Perhaps a bit young and inexperienced for PM though?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Amber wrote:Spouses text.
Mine doesn't, he thinks he's a wrong generation. Whenever he sees me texting someone, he goes 'are you a teenage text addict'? Perhaps I should take it as a compliment? :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now