tween concerts in summer

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: tween concerts in summer

Post by doodles »

la la la (sticks head firmly back in bucket) !!!! :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

the festival is walking distance of the town centre - with plenty of convenience stores closer than that. Given how muddy it always gets I would have thought that bread would be the last thing you need, unless it is to spread around in the tent to soak up the leaks!!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

wildwest wrote:Summer holidays upon us (Can't wait!)

my DD loves music and we were thinking of giving her a surprise gift in the form of 'tickets for a concert'.
This would be her first and was wondering if anyone knows of upcoming ones or where to look for them etc?

Any info gratefully received.
the sort of acts you name would have sold out on the day of ticket release. You could start looking now for next year!
We surprised DD with gig tickets for her birthday but those required setting a calendar reminder and logging on straight away and that was for a gig at Swindon Oasis!!!
She did love it though - and I made her Dad take her as I had done the previous one.

Folk by the Oak is a nice gentle festival if you like folk music.
I fancied Camp Bestival until I worked out it would be about £800 for the 3 of us to camp in a muddy field and see an unknown, at the time, line up of acts.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Amber wrote:For some reason they seemed to need to buy a lot of bread to take with them.
That sounds like the limit of their catering ability rather than a hidden message of some kind.
Our DC made it back; Reading is survivable.
There will be plenty of potential access to alcohol and drugs, potential personal safety issues etc; but you'll already have covered those issues hopefully with some blunt discussion before they go.
Animis opibusque parati
Amber

Post by Amber »

Reading Mum wrote:the festival is walking distance of the town centre - with plenty of convenience stores closer than that. Given how muddy it always gets I would have thought that bread would be the last thing you need, unless it is to spread around in the tent to soak up the leaks!!
Not Reading, Reading Mum. Something more local.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Two ends of the spectrum from the Midlands:

There's a family festival soon in Sutton Coldfield - no unaccompanied teens but possibly a day out for your DD and a friend watching someone from "the Voice" while you and ? younger siblings enjoy CBeebies Pirate adventures http://www.bigfamilyfestival.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Use code AUTO for a 50% discount

Or look at what's on in the city centre - a few tickets left for Ronan Keating (not till September though https://www.thsh.co.uk/event/ronan-keat ... -and-times" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Failing that Mamma Mia is on at the Hippodrome this summer. Everyone should have some Abba in their lives...
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

oh.. thank you so much! you are all so well informed.
I knew I could get some direction on here.
I will certainly look into all your suggestions.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

For the Reading Festival this year I'm on for a hat-trick. :)

DD a sensible 15yo is getting into music, plays guitar and sings, has been to a few concerts so wanted to see one of her favourite bands at Reading, going with a fiend on a weekend ticket but not camping on-site as friend lives by Caversham bridge.

DS2 a not so street wise 17yo wanted to go to Boardmasters Newquay but I've persuaded him for my own peace of mind to go to Reading, going with a group of friends he will start off camping but as home is a thirty minute walk away expect he will come home.

DS1 worked at Reading last year and is planning to work again, a good option as four five hour shifts got him free entry. He was giving out recycling bags which he found easier to give away when he suggested to festival goers that they made good emergency rain ponchos. He will be with his local rugby playing friends so they can provide on-site assistance if required for the younger two.

Over the last few years Reading has become very much a post GCSE festival, a younger and more peaceful and polite crowd in general.

So anyone else got kids going?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If you are anywhere near London then O2 customers often get priority booking for events at the O2 venue. Smaller London venues however like the Old Royal Naval college at Greenwich are less daunting than the big venues like the O2. DH bought DD some tickets for her birthday and promptly said he was unable to go on that day so it looks like I will be accompanying 3 tweens to see Little Mix in July. Heelllllp!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Over the last few years Reading has become very much a post GCSE festival, a younger and more peaceful and polite crowd in general.

So anyone else got kids going?
Without wishing to scare monger, this things I have heard about it have been less complimentary, with a huge amounts of under age drinking as well as a lot of drug taking. However this is all hearsay, and hopefully most teenagers know how to behave. I would let mine go if they wanted to, as they are reasonably sensible, but it has only been mentioned in passing, the the most likely one to want to go (DS2) won't get round to organising tickets unless someone does it for him!
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now