11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Re: Holiday puzzle

Post by KB »

Have you looked at Cape Verde?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have lots of research to be getting on with.

KCG - we know Mallorca well as my boys are cyclists. We stay in a tiny village in a world heritage site and it is indeed stunning. It is also VERY hot for doing anything other than sitting around, even in early June (I am too scared to cycle the precipitous routes they do). But I agree it is fabulous terrain.

Sri Lanka - somehow (with apologies to those who love it) have never fancied it and I think summer here is the rainy season? But yes will have a look.

Madagascar - now you're talking! Have looked before but will do so again.

Vietnam - I used to follow a travel blog as I vaguely knew the writer and he said it is the one place he would never go back to as he felt ripped off everywhere as a westerner (and he had travelled extensively through Asia). So yes please Scary I would love your friends' feedback.

BBB - had kind of mentally ruled out Thailand, I suppose because of its beach image, which is bad of me, so I will go and have another look. Ditto Malaysia which had somehow dropped off my radar.

Has anyone ever climbed Kilimanjaro? That is another one on our wish list.

Cape Verde - off to look now!

Thank you all (and for the PMs) and if there are more please send them over!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Although I have not summitted Kili, my dad has - and Mt Kenya (which I have summitted, helping lead a local blind school as part of the Round Table there) - both fabulous - but you would need guides to travel in any of the Eastern African countries - they just aren't safe enough to diy. If you are going to do either, then I would recommned tying in with a safari/beach typr trip too to have the total experience. Think Madagascar might be more your thing in terms of being less developed and more wild?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Is New Zealand too far for the time you have? Or austrailia? Timing might be off of course, are you set on summer hols?
doodles

Post by doodles »

I was going to suggest NZ too. DS1 went there last summer (their winter) and had an amazing time, I'm very jealous of what he managed to do. If you could go for their spring/early summer I think you'd get the best of everything you want.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:I was going to suggest NZ too. DS1 went there last summer (their winter) and had an amazing time, I'm very jealous of what he managed to do. If you could go for their spring/early summer I think you'd get the best of everything you want.

Last time I was there in early April - it was roasting hot! And of course up North its hotter anyway, but this was at bottom of North Island - South Island I'm thinking would be divine walking/hiking country, very empty and very dramatic. But don't discount the moutains around Wellington and North Island either, a lot of Lord of the Rings filmed there - stunning.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Stop it Yamin, I want to go! Ds1 travelled virtually the length of both islands (Queenstown to Auckland) playing rugby and sightseeing/touring; it was the trip of a lifetime and he's itching to go back.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I bet he is! Wait until the Rugby World Cup goes there again and take the chance! Its soooooooo far away but it is lovely, and the pace of life lovely too.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Would you recommend direct flight or stopover? DS stopped for 3 days in HK and really didn't enjoy it as it was too humid for him. Where else can you stopover?
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have been to NZ (north and south) and while I quite liked it at the time, since then I have rediscovered Norway and feel that it has everything NZ has plus plus. So definitely no urge to go back there, though thank you for the suggestion - you know me well- (tip for those who want to go to NZ - try Norway first and then see if you still get lured by the brochures. Norway really has it all though doesn't blast off about it. It may end up costing about the same though :shock: ).

Oz on the other hand - yes, been a long time ago and fell unexpectedly in love with Sydney and the whole vibe. Expected to prefer NZ but didn't. Would very happily live in Sydney and in fact DH is hoping that I am going to land a magic but non-existent job there so he can retire and we can head off.

But yeah, need to go in summer (A levels and GCSEs next year - yikes) . Also I have the opportunity to go and work down under for a few months soon so that is kind of on hold. Though now you mention it...

Thanks KCG - I know, I know. DS1 just back from Uganda and emphasising the need for guides (armed!).

Sorry, a lot of hyphens and brackets in here. It is Pimms weather, can you tell? :oops:

Eta - Doodles - Dubai/Singapore? Emirates airlines is on my hit list after DS got wifi and massive leg room and (the highlight) hot towels this summer!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now