11 plus article in the Times today

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: 11 plus article in the Times today

Post by Sally-Anne »

Catseye wrote:Do we have enough information to come to settled conclusion.
I think the answer is probably 42. Now, what was the question? :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Amber wrote:41% don't take it and 3% don't pass it (59% take, 56% pass), I think is what your figures say? So 44% in total?
Eh????

Total prep school cohort: 700
Those who take the 11+: 440
Those who pass: 230

41% don't take it.
59% do take it.
Of those who take it, 56% pass and 44% don't.
Net pass rate: 33% of the total cohort.
Ah Ok. I thought you meant that 59% of PS kids take it and 56% pass. As in, because that sample is so self-selecting, they almost all pass. Got you. :idea: Sorry.

Ah, but private school parents probably would say that they are paying for something else entirely. Connections, dear fellow. And confidence.
To take it even further OT, I reckon the last bit is the tangible difference between many state and many privately-educated people. What one might politely call self belief.

Catseye - I think the settled conclusion as far as I am concerned at least is that however you test children at the age of ten to receive a particular type of education or be denied it, it will not be fair. You could actually save all the money and do it on the maternity ward, as we have said before.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:Ah, but private school parents probably would say that they are paying for something else entirely. Connections, dear fellow. And confidence.
To take it even further OT, I reckon the last bit is the tangible difference between many state and many privately-educated people. What one might politely call self belief.
That may be true for those who are privately educated through to 18, but I think any such benefits evaporate for children who transfer at 11+ to the GS system. There's certainly no "prep school old boy network" in this neck of the woods!
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Sally-Anne wrote:There's certainly no "prep school old boy network" in this neck of the woods!
+1 in my neck of the woods.

Sally-Anne wrote:I think the answer is probably 42. Now, what was the question? :wink:
How many miles must my DC travel? :(