Wegener covered in Chemistry

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Wegener covered in Chemistry

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I don't think I have expressed myself properly (what's new!). I know that Earth and atmosphere is now in Chemistry, but I really don't understand why. What does the composition and structure of Earth have to do with Chemistry (bonding of chemicals maybe)? Is there a branch of Chemistry that I don't know of (probably)? I really would like an answer if anyone has one. It isn't that I disagree with it, just that I don't understand why it is being covered in Chemistry and not Geography. Thank you in advance of any reason you can offer.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Is it possible that the Earth and Atmospheric science is included in the chemistry syllabus as chemistry writ large? Real world applications for understanding how chemicals are formed and react together? Certainly I think an understanding of chemistry would be helpful in understanding rock formation and an understanding of geology is helpful if you're thinking in terms of where our chemical reactants come from.
There are a number of geology and environmental courses at university that would benefit from a background in chemistry.
The introduction to the KS4 curriculum says:
"The sciences should be taught in ways that ensure students have the knowledge to enable them to develop curiosity about the natural world, insight into working scientifically, and appreciation of the relevance of science to their everyday lives, so that students..."
Amongst the other things they mention is the need to understand through real examples how scientific theories are developed and evidence is gathered e.g. Wegener's theory about continental drift . However there is much in Wegener's theory that could have gone into physics e.g. rock sequences recording changes in the Earth's magnetic field making it possible to prove the magnetic poles have moved.
Don't know if that helps.I think I would have enjoyed having earth sciences as part of my high school chemistry.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Many thanks for the replies. So, looking at the curriculum they have moved the "Earth and atmosphere" (KS4) subjects from Geography to Chemistry. Is that because it required a scientific approach to discover these things or is it that, as Earth 'science' is definitely not Biology or Physics, it has to be taught in Chemistry? Or is it because it is possible to drop Geography but not science (in most schools) so they wanted it covered as it is important?
I would say it is geology (rock formations),geography(climatology and continental drift),physics(electro magnetic fields),chemistry(atmospheric gases,structure of the earth, liquids and solids)and biology(paleontology).

I am not sure Wegener's theory in the AQA subject at GCSE was ever in Geography as I have seen references to it in 2013 as being studied as part of Chemistry.In reality all of this is false as real science can never be compartmentalised and requires study in different disciplines at the same time to properly and deeply understand fundamental concepts and theories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzX7CbJZv5E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3RJddO11Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Many thanks again for your answers. It is starting to make more sense to me that it is in Chemistry; in my defence I didn't do 'O' Level Chemistry so I can't say it wasn't covered, but I thought it was covered in Geography (though maybe I learned it in the school of life). I think I now have enough info to defend its inclusion in Chemistry now, so thank you :-)

Not sure whether to start a new thread but does anyone have any tips on revision? DS's exercise books are still a bit scruffy (working on it) and he doesn't get along with Bitesize (our internet is down too often to make it realistic tbh). I have searched the internet for help but all it comes up with are online tests which don't really help. Is there a site that has printable revision/knowledge sheets? Any help would be appreciated.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The student room can be a useful site for revision tools.You will need to check yourself any resources match topics your son is studying in the current syllabus.This may be a useful starting point.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/conten ... -chemistry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Many thanks for the replies. So, looking at the curriculum they have moved the "Earth and atmosphere" (KS4) subjects from Geography to Chemistry. Is that because it required a scientific approach to discover these things or is it that, as Earth 'science' is definitely not Biology or Physics, it has to be taught in Chemistry? Or is it because it is possible to drop Geography but not science (in most schools) so they wanted it covered as it is important?
Probably a combination of those reasons. Earth science and in particular 'climate change' are no doubt considered important topics which need to be taught somewhere in the syllabus. They're a combination of Geography and science and since it's possible to drop Geography seems like they have been included in the science syllabus and shoehorned into Chemistry as maybe the best fit.

I guess it would include things like the carbon cycle which is more chemistry than physics and biology?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Many thanks Quasimodo - I had forgotten about The Student Room, though I can't find much on there after a quick search. I am trying to find out what exam board(s) the school uses but that is taking some time. We can go through DS's books to see what is covered so that is not a problem but if anyone has a recommendation for some books I can buy that would be helpful; we have a few CGP KS3 books and whilst they cover the topics they seem a little basic and are a bit too... colourful? Playful? for him. Do GCSE books cover all the basics but in a more serious way? He doesn't really have any text books from school and, as I say, his exercise books leave a lot to be desired when it comes to revision.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks Surferfish. I do sometimes wonder if the curriculum is over politicised nowadays.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Many thanks Quasimodo - I had forgotten about The Student Room, though I can't find much on there after a quick search. I am trying to find out what exam board(s) the school uses but that is taking some time. We can go through DS's books to see what is covered so that is not a problem but if anyone has a recommendation for some books I can buy that would be helpful; we have a few CGP KS3 books and whilst they cover the topics they seem a little basic and are a bit too... colourful? Playful? for him. Do GCSE books cover all the basics but in a more serious way? He doesn't really have any text books from school and, as I say, his exercise books leave a lot to be desired when it comes to revision.
I appreciate you sometimes have internet problems.You do need the exact syllabus for each subject and learn whats on the specification.What year is he in ?
If you state the subjects and the exam courses then posters may be able to suggest books.

Abraham Lincoln
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

DS is in year 8. We do get internet (obviously!) but it drops out too often to be a reliable source for revision :-( I am trying to find out what exams he will sit but the last info I could download doesn't seem to say what board they are using and I am confused with the changes tbh. We only have text books for Spanish, German and History. I am trying to instill in DS the importance of what he writes in his exercise book but nothing has changed much so revision is an issue. He is doing well in all subjects but finding a way for him to revise may become a problem. I will find out what exam boards he is taking(?) and post those in the hope of some more advice. Thank you Quasimodo.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now