What do your DC call their friends parents?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Re: What do your DC call their friends parents?

Post by um »

It is usually Auntie or Uncle amongst Muslim friends but first names otherwise.
In fact my dd did something to my phone to import her contacts over so all my friend's names are Auntie in my contacts.
On whatsapp chats all I ever see is 'Auntie is typing...'
It drives me mad and we've never been able to sort it out.
solimum

Post by solimum »

When thinking about how to address the US inlaws
for some reason the song "Now here's to you, Mrs Robinson..." is now stuck in my head.....!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

solimum wrote:When thinking about how to address the US inlaws
for some reason the song "Now here's to you, Mrs Robinson..." is now stuck in my head.....!
:lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

um wrote:It is usually Auntie or Uncle amongst Muslim friends but first names otherwise.
I think it's more common in Asian families, my mum grew up in India and growing up all adults were Auntie or Uncle, at one point in my teens at a family gathering I asked my mum who I was actually related too, it was far fewer people than I thought. I had a lot of Aunties in particular. It must have stuck with me as my children call our close friends Auntie and Uncle.

We lived in the States for a while and the Miss address was particularly common with friends from the South. It explained to me why Miss Ellie in Dallas was still Miss despite being married!

My children generally use first names, the exception being neighbours of ours who don't have young children. Definitely Mr & Mrs there.

What I really struggle with is parents who call each other Mummy and Daddy. Not 'go and ask Daddy where your socks are' to a child, more the 'Mummy would you like a cup of tea' from a husband to wife when the child isn't even there! We've got a couple of friends who do this and I have to stifle a giggle at times!
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

I seem to get kid's referring to me as 'R....'s mum. Then I tell them they can call me by my first name. Some do but some don't. This seems to have continued on into secondary school although I don't see the friends that often now.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

What I really struggle with is parents who call each other Mummy and Daddy. Not 'go and ask Daddy where your socks are' to a child, more the 'Mummy would you like a cup of tea' from a husband to wife when the child isn't even there!
Two thoughts: honestly now, how many daddies know where the socks are? And while I've never addressed my OH as Daddy, in recent weeks I have for some reason twice called him "grandpa", and we have no grandchildren. I do realise that both thoughts seem to suggest that I have eased into a different demographic :shock: :roll: :lol:
Now, where did he put his bus pass?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

In truth the standard answer to the question 'where are my socks?'

"The clue is in the question! "
olucares

Post by olucares »

my DC's say "Charlie's mum", etc. I would probably tell them off if they used first names, then again, that's purely cultural as I am from African heritage and is perceived as rude in African culture.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

olucares wrote:my DC's say "Charlie's mum", etc. I would probably tell them off if they used first names, then again, that's purely cultural as I am from African heritage and is perceived as rude in African culture.
I think I would initially ask whether the parent in question had said 'please call me by my first name'. The only time when I actively (but not terribly forcefully, something like "...Freda - that's 'Mrs Bloggs' to you :lol: ...") discourage our younger two from using another adult's first name in conversation is when I am myself referring to, say, one of their teachers with whom I am personally on first name terms.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now