Urgent-what To do with exchange student?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Re: Urgent-what To do with exchange student?

Post by KB »

Nail bar and afternoon tea?
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Afternoon tea is definitely something we are planning to do. Along with fish and chips and a Sunday roast. Not that our lives are ruled by food!
KB

Post by KB »

:)
piggys

Post by piggys »

When the girls from Germany came last year on the German exchange a whole load of them went to Victoria's Secret & Pink in Brent Cross. They thought they had died and gone to heaven as apparently they don't have that shop in Germany. I kid you not.
um

Post by um »

Cadbury World is more suitable for under 8s.

How about:
A Trampoline Park
Ice skating in Solihull
Star City for bowling/cinema/food
City centre, canals and library visit including Shakespeare room and roof views, maybe BMAG

I'm aware that none of these are massively 'cultural' but I'm taking into account this is a 15 year old and the weather is terrible.

You've brought back memories of our German exchange students! Both of them were genuinely horrified by the sight of baked beans :lol: :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We had a Spanish exchange a few years ago and we took her to London where she spent a huge amount of time in M & M world and then bought lots of things with London on them and lots of clothes with London or England written on them.

Had she been interested we would have taken her to Tower of London, down the Thames, Greenwich, The Tate and all sorts. But it was clear that she really wasn't and shopping was much more her cup of tea. DG
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm glad to hear of positive exchange experiences, ours wasn't great and ds refused to do the return leg! Bit of a shame really as his friends had a great time :)
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Oh what a shame, doodles. I was apprehensive about having an exchange student but she was lovely. I really missed her when she went home because she used to chat to me whereas my own teenagers are mostly ensconced in their own headphoned worlds :lol:
marigold

Post by marigold »

The look of horror on the face of the Chinese school girl we hosted a few years ago when I served toad in the hole for supper has gone down in family history. I was only trying to give her some traditional English food.
After refusing to eat everything I served up for several days I took her to Tesco to see if we could find something she would like. We ended up with five bags of crispy duck pancake flavour crisps and a ready made sticky toffee pudding.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Our French exchange was like that, would only eat French food apart from wanting cheese and chicken sandwiches every day and spent several mornings trying to skive back to the house from the bus so he could spend the day on the Xbox! Then there was the evening he had a bruise on his foot and was determined that he had a recurrence of blood poisoning! Luckily Dh is bilingual so was able to converse with the accompanying teacher who wasn't overly impressed by his behaviour!!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !