For Europeans concerned by Brexit

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stimela

Re: For Europeans concerned by Brexit

Post by Stimela »

Surferfish wrote: Indeed. If a former Conservative PM, a former Labour PM, The Guardian, the BBC and even The Daily Mail are all advising the same thing does it not make you wonder if they perhaps have a valid point? :?
Text removed by moderator

So no I don’t need a moment to think whether they have a valid point.[/quote]

Fair point, I take it back. We should only listen to decent, honest folk like that lovely Mr Farage... :roll:[/quote]

Gosh I've been zapped by the moderator. Feeling a little bit proud and a little bit naughty.

So let me just clarify my view on Tony Blair. It was said in the Chilcot report I think that he wilfully exaggerated the case for War based on flimsy evidence and hearsay that directly led to the deaths and dismemberment of 200,000 - 500,000 Iraqi civilians. Tony apparently used to help direct operations from the specially constructed sandpit model of Iraq he had built in No. 10. I'd hate it if people were thinking that I thought badly of him.

Nigel F on the other hand was firmly against the Iraq invasion and the bombing of Libya and Syria, and was the first person I know to condemn the Khashoggi atrocity and is trying to remove Tommy Robinson from UKIP. He sees the EU as corrupt and unaccountable dictators who, with their ambitions for a European army, are moving towards being a fascist superstate.

removed by a moderator

see forum rules

3. Swearing, profanity and ******* in place of swear words will not be tolerated.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Stimela wrote:Yes their dog whistling over the Stephen Lawrence case was very obvious and dangerous, whilst your virtue signalling does us all proud.
You're right, that one piece of brave journalism from 21 years ago puts them in credit. And it was done after an excellent piece of work, that of Neville Lawrence who did plastering work at Dacre's house, without which Dacre concedes they would probably not have run the headline.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Stimela wrote:Text removed by moderator

Gosh I've been zapped by the moderator. Feeling a little bit proud and a little bit naughty.
The amazing thing is that this subject managed to run for 35 pages before the censors stepped in! :lol:
Loopy
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

Stimela wrote:Gosh I've been zapped by the moderator. Feeling a little bit proud and a little bit naughty.
It should not be proud or naughty. Try apologetic instead.

I would remind you all of the forum rules:

Forum Rules

1. Name calling, insults and “flaming” (provocative or hostile posting) are not permitted. Threads that descend into a flame war may be locked or removed temporarily or permanently from the Forum.

2. Posts that may cause offence or are simply inappropriate, that may incite religious or racial hatred, or contain potentially libellous comments, will be removed without warning.

3. Swearing, profanity and ******* in place of swear words will not be tolerated.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Brexit is stupid.
piggys

Post by piggys »

anotherdad wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:
anotherdad wrote:I didn't have to look that hard.
Show me one... or better still, report it to the press commission. I have never seen anything remotely racist in the DM. Anything they print that could be construed as racist can always be backed up by fact if you seek it out. They cannot cross that line. And if they do then report them.
So you don’t think the DM, among other poisonous publications and people, have had any part to play in the demonisation of migrants and the legitimisation and incitement of hatred and violence against them? Right.

They’re not daft enough to explicitly break the law, but their dog-whistling is obvious and dangerous, especially because people fall for it.

The DM employed Katie Hopkins for quite a while didn't they? and published - under their newspaper name - her 'articles' about refugees and Muslims. These include her racist accusation that a Muslim family from the UK travelling to Disneyland were 'members of Al Q'aeda'. Plus a whole load of other racist stuff I just can't be bothered to look up because I already know what it says. I think the Mail had to cough up over £100k for that one, not to mention masses more to Jack Monroe. Dacre must have felt she was worth it. So please - don't pretend the DM is not racist, misogynistic and xenophobic. It is.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

piggys wrote:The DM employed Katie Hopkins for quite a while didn't they? and published - under their newspaper name - her 'articles' about refugees and Muslims. These include her racist accusation that a Muslim family from the UK travelling to Disneyland were 'members of Al Q'aeda'. Plus a whole load of other racist stuff I just can't be bothered to look up because I already know what it says. I think the Mail had to cough up over £100k for that one, not to mention masses more to Jack Monroe. Dacre must have felt she was worth it. So please - don't pretend the DM is not racist, misogynistic and xenophobic. It is.
They did employ her, and that was after her stint in another newspaper where she said she'd send gunboats to deal with African migrants (whom she likened to cockroaches). Businesses often look for employees that share their values, and here is a perfect example.

But hey, it's probably just spin on the truth.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Bexit is doomed! Doomed, I tell you.

We're Remaining the only sensible thing to do :D

Now, enough of this nonsense and prepare for a 'People's Vote'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

There is an entire campaign aimed almost exclusively at the Daily Mail to try and prevent it from receiving advertising funding for its awful hate-driven campaigns. I think also that somewhere (?The British Library?) has stopped taking it as it does not consider that it qualifies as a 'newspaper' any more. Personally I won't ever click on a link for that publication and even though the hate-filled headlines scream out from every news stand I do try hard not to read them.

https://stopfundinghate.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Post by Amber »

Also, as Matthew Parris pointed out in an excellent article which I referenced several weeks ago on this thread, migration to the UK from non-EU countries is now rising as EU immigration falls. This at least means that anyone who was motivated by racism to vote for Brexit will be sucking lemons as the number of 'brown' faces increases and the 'white' ones go back home. I gather we are currently a very attractive proposition for Iranians looking to escape difficult conditions in their own country. I have no problem with that but sense that some who voted for Brexit in order to restrict immigration may view it differently.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -six-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now