Mumps

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Mumps

Post by Tinkers »

DD got CP three weeks before starting school so well timed really. Quite remarkably she had been at nursery since about 9 months old and seemed to avoid catching it on all three other occasions she was exposed to it. She was quite poorly with it though, and she usually has a rock solid immune system.

It was only about 5 years after I’d last had it, so my own immunity must have been still intact.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Both my boys and hubby have suppressed immunity - our response is to get them vaccinated for everything they can (and me to help protect them), in the hope that anything they do get is reduced in nastiness - it does mean they get poorly when they have had the vaccine though, as their risk factors are slightly increased.

I rely on herd immunity to keep my family safe - but we try and do our bit too. I really have no time for people who "choose" not to vaccine their children for no other reason than some pseudo science from a rogue doctor some years ago.

Having had chicken pox, mumps and German and real measles, none of them are any fun - people seem to think mumps is just a sore throat and swollen glands....it really isn't!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The Expert Witness from the Wakefield case once told me about the rows of lawyers lined up against one representative from the NHS with lots of pound signs in their eyes.

With such easy access to all the "evidence" in the case I find it incredible that it actually got to court.

But there are still people who believe him to this day. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Daogroupie wrote:So the educational impact of students having to take time off school is not considered at all?

DG
The majority get c pox before they start school so I guess not really.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

My DS never got chicken pox so should I be worried? Mind you, in theory I never had The Mumps (despite my siblings having it ... and I shared a bed with one of them!)
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

BucksBornNBred wrote:My DS never got chicken pox so should I be worried? Mind you, in theory I never had The Mumps (despite my siblings having it ... and I shared a bed with one of them!)
Adults get it worse than children in the whole. We often treat adults who get it whereas we don't treat children.
But no I wouldn't be worried. Just make sure he knows he's not had it should he have children in the future and should one of them develop c pox...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Do adults get shingles rather than chickenpox LL? I know shingles is also really nasty, so it’s not a consolation prize!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I defintely got CP and not shingles as an adult. I think you need to have actually had CP to develop shingles later, but LL or HM will correct me if I’m wrong I guess.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox. It's a type of herpes virus so hides in the nerve endings like you get with a cold sore and tends to pop up when your defences are low.
If you haven't had chicken pox you can in theory catch it from someone with shingles.
scary mum
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My husband got chicken pox fir the first time at 28, it was a huge joke at work, but he was incredibly ill with it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now