Low attendance at secondary school

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am PRO, PRO, PRO PSCHE! It has taught my son things about male bodily functions that I know don't have to - phew! I'll let you use your imaginations! :shock: :lol:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Loupylou - what a shame that the "best schools" don't teach PHSCE. A random selection of the topics covered in the PHSCE programme at my sons' GS includes:

How to deal with homework
Friendship
Alcohol/Drug/Smoking awareness
Bullying
Life Changes
Global citizenship
Crime
Personal Danger
Coping with stress
How to revise
Racism

etc etc

PSCHE (or PSHE - though it usually includes the "C" for citizenship) is not intended to be an academic subject. It is one lesson a week where a form can discuss issues such as those outlined above. In PSCHE My Y7 son's form is currently discussing what it means to be part of a team and how the boys in his form can support each other. My Y9 son's form is currently discussing what issues they should consider when choosing their options. They've recently done something as frivolous as watch a film and have a good old discussion about it. It's one 40 minute lesson a week which I think is rather valuable.

Food tech has recently been introduced at my sons' GS. It's hugely popular and covers nutrition not just rather useful skills such as how to put together simple meals. I suspect for many it's a welcome antidote to drier subjects.

Of course non-academic subjects (however you want to define this) should be taught at secondary schools. Schools are charged with producing well rounded individuals and this must include the development of life skills and ideally at least a basic understanding/appreciation of all subjects regardless of whether a student wants to pursue them.

You say if someone hasn't an aptitude in art or music then they shouldn't be "forced". I'm not sure what you mean by this. KS3 is a time when students study the full curriculum so that they can make informed decisions about which subjects they like and which they don't want to study further at KS4. The vast majority of children have no exposure to music before they reach secondary school and of course they should all have a chance to find out if they enjoy it. Art and music are not subjects which anyone is forced to do beyond KS3.
Schoolbaglady

Post by Schoolbaglady »

My Y7 daughter quite likes PHSE too- they get to sit on beanbags apparently...
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

On comparing the relative merits of academic/non-academic subjects, there was some discussion in our house when DD announced her intention to study textiles GCSE. I was happy about it as I assumed it would provide some welcome relief from all the "harder" subjects. How wrong I was - there is a lot more to it than just dressmaking! The syllabus also has quite a hefty theoretical component and DD actually has to work harder at doing well in this subject than in the traditionally more "difficult" subjects!

As regards its practical applications, she won't need to buy a prom dress...and, of course, anyone wanting any kind of medical career presumably needs to be able to sew. :wink:
Marylou
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think Domestic Science (or whatever they call it nowadays) should be compulsory. How many kids know how to boil an egg, load and turn on a washing machine, understand different types of bank accounts etc?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I think Domestic Science (or whatever they call it nowadays) should be compulsory. How many kids know how to boil an egg, load and turn on a washing machine, understand different types of bank accounts etc?
I don't think the onus should fall completely at the schools door and believe parents should shoulder most of the responsibility for teaching their children these things.
My oldest two started by learning how to cook their fav food. :D They do a lot of other things under the umbrella of' family household chores'.
(OH was overjoyed the first day DS1 mowed (most of) the lawn :lol: )
guest27

low attendance at secondary school

Post by guest27 »

The cookery element of FT (Domestic Science) is mainly "assembly cookery" from what I have seen so far!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I agree Bewildered but so many parents spoil and mollycoddle their kids that they do not teach them these skills. I see no harm in one period a week being used to teach basic skills.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My daughter took food tech to GCSE last year, and while I agree that there is lots and lots of work (not for the faint hearted), she also made the most beautiful Cristmas Cake I have ever seen.
This may not even be practical, but she thoroughly enjoyed her time in that class and also the drama - again, a lot of effort was required, and again, she loved every minute of it.
Now that she is in 6th form and doing all sciences and maths, I think she looks back with a little regret that she no longer has these let off steam subjects to take her mind off, so to speak, her traditional academic subjects.

LFH
another mother

Post by another mother »

I agree Mary Lou - Art GCSE involves a huge amount of time and skill too! So much for thinking it would take the pressure off! But the big plus seems to be that it is using a different sort of concentration and part of the brain.

I can't help feeling the world would be a poorer place without so called softer subjects - 11 to 14 is still a time when you are exploring all sorts of areas, who knows what might spark, even if you aren't the best at it; professionally creativity is of enormous value but true education should be about appreciation and understanding of the broadest view of life anyway.

There is also great value in having subjects where those who are strong but not the very best academically can find they shine. If DC's only pick the areas they excel in they are due for a rude awakening, or else may end up rather dull?! :roll:

Finally, both my DD's loath IT but it did/is help/ing them acquire skills that are now second nature. And having recently turned down an Oxbridge first applicant in favour of one with many skills including fantastic IT, don't discount its absolute value in the job market.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now